Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The making of the Coffee table

The making of the Coffee table

Well... It took me a while to sort and select all the pictures to show the process.

Some of the pics are not so interesting but help to follow the time thread.

I build this table in several steps and places, at my previous home room /workshop ( 2,5 x2,5 meters) and at my parent's in law house on the country side (open air work).

At that time (last summer) I hadn't any power tools apart from a hand drill.
    and the making went through several "stand by" periods due to getting a new house, refurbishing it, moving in etc.

I hope you'll enjoy them.

On this first set you can see, the process of planing, gluing, more planing, even some end grain planing! of the top of the table and the added thickness on one side from which the wave will be carved out.

I will post several sets during these days I hope not to bore you too much.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

The making of the Cofee Table II ( Shaping the leg)

As I didn't want to waste wood, I used two thin scraps, that I planned and joined together to get the needed size.
    Attachment 10774

The leg is made by drawing two elipses, one one each end of the piece turned 90 degrees respect each other.

The resulting egde curve was drawn with the aid of templates, in this case there were two of them because de size of the ellipses was different.
    Attachment 10776

Not having a bandsaw or a hand held powered jigsaw I cut the shape by making several parallel cuts following the contour and chop the bits off with a chisel.

Roughed out the shape with a spokeshave and finish with a rasp. Although the spokeshave was very sharp, as the wood had quite rowed grain I was lifting splinters so I opted for the rasp for the final shaping.

to be continued...
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 07-19-2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Testing how to insert pics in between text/remove excess code
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Part III Fitting the leg and tenons

Dry fit the leg and marked the section of the transitional shape from the flat opposite side of top to the leg.

Rough shaping with a gouge.

Gluing the other leg/side

Moved to parent’s in law place for woodworking holydays. Back yard’s partial view

Drilled holes for reinforcing tenons

Tenons with wedges

Final cut off and leveled tenons
    Best regards,
    Toni

Part IV More shaping

Leveled tenons.

At this point a friend of mine lent me a powered hadn held planer that helped me to speed up the process of rough shaping the different parts of the table.

Carving out the top groove to accept the TV remote control

Shaping to curve the other side of the table.

Hey guys!!! I hope not to be overdoing it with so many pictures!!! . If so just let me know.

We are getting there....
    Best regards,
    Toni

Part V and final yeah!!

Sanding, sanding and more sanding…..

Shaping transition to leg, this was more refined later on.

Checking overall appearance

Rounding the edge and the rest you already know

Thanks for viewing and bearing with me.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Toni

four stars on the documentry toni! thanks for taking the time to post the pics and to share your process.
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Goodness Toni, that is FANTASTIC!!!

You deserve the tenacity (tenacidad) award for getting this project done!

What a huge amount of work, make darn sure that you have your name carved and or burned into that lovely piece of work, so your great grandkids will know who built it and when.

Stunning!

Where did you come up with the design, or was this something that just popped out of your artistic side?

Hats off you you sir, and you can never have too many pics!

Great job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Tod and Stu.

Thanks to you for taking the time to look at the pics.

Yes it is my own design, I'll post the initial sketches tomorrow if I can.
    Well Stu... you are dammed good as well at documenting projects, in fact I learnt how to do it surfing on your dungeon but you are the boss .

Hopefully now that I have a bigger workshop and a jointer/thicknesser plus a band saw I'll be able to be more productive, with the help and inputs of my woodworking friends.
    Best regards,
    Toni

Very nice documentation of your process.
    I really like how the single leg seems to "grow" out of the wood.
    I like Iroka, I used it to build Adirondack chairs, it makes them look classy.

Hi Toni,
    This was my first visit to your thread about making this coffee table. Your design is very nice and the single leg works well in the design. I really like the way it fits into the underside.
    So much sanding but the results are so VERY Wonderful!

Thanks for taking the time to show the progress of your work during the building and sanding stages.
    The way you went about the build up of the shape and then the shaping of your curves was very rewarding.
    Thanks again,
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how