The making of the Coffee table

Well... It took me a while to sort and select all the pictures to show the process.

Some of the pics are not so interesting but help to follow the time thread.

I build this table in several steps and places, at my previous home room /workshop ( 2,5 x2,5 meters) and at my parent's in law house on the country side (open air work).:)

At that time (last summer) I hadn't any power tools apart from a hand drill.
and the making went through several "stand by":eek: periods due to getting a new house, refurbishing it, moving in etc.

I hope you'll enjoy them.

On this first set you can see, the process of planing, gluing, more planing, even some end grain planing! of the top of the table and the added thickness on one side from which the wave will be carved out.

I will post several sets during these days I hope not to bore you too much.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 74
The making of the Cofee Table II ( Shaping the leg)

As I didn't want to waste wood, I used two thin scraps, that I planned and joined together to get the needed size.
09.JPG

The leg is made by drawing two elipses, one one each end of the piece turned 90 degrees respect each other.

The resulting egde curve was drawn with the aid of templates, in this case there were two of them because de size of the ellipses was different.
11.JPG

Not having a bandsaw or a hand held powered jigsaw I cut the shape by making several parallel cuts following the contour and chop the bits off with a chisel.

Roughed out the shape with a spokeshave and finish with a rasp. Although the spokeshave was very sharp, as the wood had quite rowed grain I was lifting splinters so I opted for the rasp for the final shaping.

to be continued...

Attachments

• 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 39
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Part III Fitting the leg and tenons

Dry fit the leg and marked the section of the transitional shape from the flat opposite side of top to the leg.

Rough shaping with a gouge.

Gluing the other leg/side

Moved to parent’s in law place for woodworking holydays. Back yard’s partial view

Drilled holes for reinforcing tenons

Tenons with wedges

Final cut off and leveled tenons

Attachments

• 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 37
Part IV More shaping

Leveled tenons.

At this point a friend of mine lent me a powered hadn held planer that helped me to speed up the process of rough shaping the different parts of the table.

Carving out the top groove to accept the TV remote control

Shaping to curve the other side of the table.

Hey guys!!!:D I hope not to be overdoing it with so many pictures!!! . If so just let me know.

We are getting there....:)

Attachments

• 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 42
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 34
Part V and final yeah!!

Sanding, sanding and more sanding…..

Shaping transition to leg, this was more refined later on.

Checking overall appearance

Rounding the edge and the rest you already know

Thanks for viewing and bearing with me.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.:wave:

Attachments

• 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 45.JPG
    45.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 55
four stars on the documentry toni! thanks for taking the time to post the pics and to share your process.
tod

Goodness Toni, that is FANTASTIC!!! :headbang:

You deserve the tenacity (tenacidad) award for getting this project done! :clap:

What a huge amount of work, make darn sure that you have your name carved and or burned into that lovely piece of work, so your great grandkids will know who built it and when.

Stunning!

Where did you come up with the design, or was this something that just popped out of your artistic side?

Hats off you you sir, and you can never have too many pics!

Great job! :bow:

Hi Tod and Stu.

Thanks to you for taking the time to look at the pics.

Yes it is my own design, I'll post the initial sketches tomorrow if I can.
Well Stu... you are dammed good as well at documenting projects:), in fact I learnt how to do it surfing on your dungeon:thumb: but you are the boss:D .

Hopefully now that I have a bigger workshop and a jointer/thicknesser plus a band saw I'll be able to be more productive, with the help and inputs of my woodworking friends.:p

Very nice documentation of your process.
I really like how the single leg seems to "grow" out of the wood.
I like Iroka, I used it to build Adirondack chairs, it makes them look classy.

Hi Toni, :wave:
This was my first visit to your thread about making this coffee table. Your design is very nice and the single leg works well in the design. I really like the way it fits into the underside.
So much sanding but the results are so VERY Wonderful!:thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to show the progress of your work during the building and sanding stages.
The way you went about the build up of the shape and then the shaping of your curves was very rewarding.
Thanks again,
Shaz

That's a great series of pictures, Toni. You really are a sculptor who happens to work with wood. The table is stunning, and the amount of work necessary in amazing. I'm sure it took great patience waiting for this piece to come to life.

Well Toni,

Everyone beat me to the compliments I intended to send to you. But I'll say it again since you deserve it!

Very very nice work...and you did a GREAT job documenting the process! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing!
- Marty -

Great series of pics Toni. I always appreciate those who take time to walk us through the process. Great job on the pics and once again; beautiful form on that table.

The initial sketches

Hi everybody.

As I promised yesterday here you have the original sketches I made while designing the table. Here you can see how I went through several options and variations before deciding which one to make.

sketch.jpg

As you can see the design chosen was the one on the top right corner.
Initialy I thought about joining the top and the side leg by means of a sliding dovetail that would add interest to the side, as shown on the sketch, but not having any router or other machinery I though it would have been too much painstaking doing it.

Hola Toni :wave:

That is some impressive series of pictures! Amazing how much hand shaping a person can do when motivated! :thumb:

I have to say I also love that stone wall in the background... But I'm very partial to stone walls :D

Hey Toni, your hand drawn design confirms your artistic ability, man I wish I could draw like that! :thumb:

Cheers!
I was thinking the exact same thing. Toni's most definitely an artist. :clap:

I can do OK with mechanical drawing (compass and straightedge), but my freehand drawing looks like something done by a 10-year-old kid.

Hey Stu!

Man, you've grown so suddenly in your avatar from a cowboy kid to a bearded giant that you almost gave me a heart attack!:D

Many thanks for your and Vaughn's comments about my drawing abilities but I'm by no means a good draftsman, just average, in fact it is just matter of technique nothing to do with being an artist (which I don't consider myself).

It took me a few years to be able to sketch to a decent level and I have to say that I'm not specially gifted for it. As in woodworking it is a matter of drawing, and drawing and drawing so eventually you get the knack of it.

There are so many things that I learn everyday from the fellowwoodworkers of this forum that I feel a bit overwhelmed with all your good comments.

Thanks again to all of you