Where would I find...

Looking for a mortising attachment for a Sears/ King Seely drill press.
I need to drill some square holes and have no idea if someone still sells that stuff for an old press or not.
Shaz

Robert
Before I got a mortiseing machine I would drill the hole and then chuck up the mortising bit and then cut the hole square with the mortising bit. Works just fine if your in a pinch and can't fine one. Make sure you turn the piece over and don't cut through or there is a chance of tear out if you don't have a backer square hole.
Reg

My first mortiser attachment was a grizzly.
Wasn't too bad of a tool, but it tied up my drill press so I got a Jet mortiser. I can understand this idea, do you feel good about the Jet mortiser, maybe I should think specific tool... specific job? Shaz

If I remember right, you measure the OD of your shaft, and grizzley had 3 or 4 different ones the would fit most small drill presses.

Robert
Before I got a mortiseing machine I would drill the hole and then chuck up the mortising bit and then cut the hole square with the mortising bit. Works just fine if your in a pinch and can't fine one. Make sure you turn the piece over and don't cut through or there is a chance of tear out if you don't have a backer square hole. I understand exactly what you describe Reg. Thanks for that important input. Shaz
Reg
Do you mortisers have a designated mortiser or do you adapt for that procedure with a multi purpose machine? So many of the tools now adays are "foreign" :) to me, figuratively and literally.
Shaz

I have a powermatic foot operated mortiser and it gets used often
myrtelwoodtbltop111.jpg

sharp010.jpg

Reg

I've got a mortising attachment for my drill press, but I think I have used it once. It has bushings in it that make it attach to different drill presses. In my opinion there are only two ways to go...with a benchtop mortising unit, saving you time, aggravation and a lot of set-up with a drill press mortising machine or...

Use a drill bit and hand chisel to chop your mortises. I know this has no merit these days, but for me I would rather use a drill press and chisel then any other method. Slow but enjoyable for me.

In all honesty, I think you will find a ton of drill press mortising attachments out there that just plain never get used. There is a big reason for that. You might want to be smarter than me and look at some alternatives before spending money on something you won't use much.

Shaz, I worked with one of them doodas you attach to a drill press, it was a real boat anchor:rolleyes:

The DP was a good Delta, and so was the doodad, but it plain sucked. To get it to work, we had to retrofit a bunch of stuff, and when you added up our shop time and the price of the doodad, we would have been ahead buying the the BT model.

walk, no RUN away from them DP mortising doodads! :D :wave:

I have a powermatic foot operated mortiser and it gets used often
myrtelwoodtbltop111.jpg

sharp010.jpg

Reg
Thanks Reg,
Foot lever looks like a big plus.:D
Shaz

I've got a mortising attachment for my drill press, but I think I have used it once. It has bushings in it that make it attach to different drill presses. In my opinion there are only two ways to go...with a benchtop mortising unit, saving you time, aggravation and a lot of set-up with a drill press mortising machine ( I hate changing set-ups like when I think of the shopsmith, great as it might be for some, and considering what you and Reg mention I am leaning toward a single usage tool) or...

Use a drill bit and hand chisel to chop your mortises. I know this has no merit these days, but for me I would rather use a drill press and chisel then any other method. Slow but enjoyable for me. (Thanks Travis for the sharing of this option, I feel I would not be troubled with this for a non production job.:D )

In all honesty, I think you will find a ton of drill press mortising attachments out there that just plain never get used. There is a big reason for that. You might want to be smarter than me and look at some alternatives before spending money on something you won't use much. ( Thanks, Shaz :) )

Shaz, I worked with one of them doodas you attach to a drill press, it was a real boat anchor:rolleyes: ( What if I don't have a boat!:rofl: :rofl: )

The DP was a good Delta, and so was the doodad, but it plain sucked. To get it to work, we had to retrofit a bunch of stuff, and when you added up our shop time and the price of the doodad, we would have been ahead buying the the BT model.

walk, no RUN away from them DP mortising doodads! :D :wave:
Thank you Stu for your creative :rolleyes: and candid advice. :eek: :D I did not think of the adaptation being such a problem as you all have mentioned. I want my tools plugged in and ready to perform their designated task. They seem happier :) too :) that way. Thanks again to each of you for your input. It is valuable stuff you share:thumb: . Thanks,
Shaz