Pergo floors

Easy, well relatively easy. There's an underlayment that you can cut with scissors, then the pergo lays on top of that. The pieces snap together. The only real work is cutting out pieces to fit around doors, appliances, etc - but you have that with any flooring.

Have you ever walked on a Pergo floor? I feels a little different. There is some give, which is no problem structurally, but psychologically it takes some getting used to. If you haven't tried this, you might want to first.

You may also have to remove some trim or cut out some trim to allow the pergo to fit in height wise, but again, this is the way of all floors.

One last piece of advice, if there is any way to leave your current floor (as opposed to tearing it out) do so. Don't believe how easily those first few asbestos tiles come out, the rest are there for eternity - DAMHIKT:rofl:

Well, I just paid Empire to install their brand of flooring. It was the snap in, no glue stuff.

I am gald I did not do it. The had a saw that would cut off 1/4" on the door jams, which made the fit and finish of the floor much nicer.

There is a special door threshold that you have to have. The also did an excellent job with the matching quarter round moulding.

These guys had some kind of clamps that set the 1st several rows tight against the walls. Since there is no glue, I am sure the stuff will move and get out ot square in the room.

There is some technique to the installation. These guys really knew what they were doing. The finished product really looks good.

I just had to accept the fact that is not real wood flooring. I just had to think about it like tile with a wood pattern and texture.

That said, it looks really good and I think will wear very well.

Like was said above, it does feel different and I think is very quiet.

I guess "tight against the walls" is not the correct way to describe what the clamps did. The made sure the 1st few rows would not move. I found a picture from this website... Also look at the "561 Pull Bar" on that same website page.

floorclamp.jpg

These guys definitley left 1/4", more like 1/2", but all that was hidden under the quarter round molding.

These guys also used a "Jam Saw". Found it on this Link

They had a portable saw with them, in my driveway. All of the cuts were pushed thru free hand, no Mitre!!!.

They did however put on full face shield each time they turned on the saw.

This is probably company rules, but I was still impressed.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have some pergo in my family room and kitchen. I will never get pergo or any other laminate again most likely.

As Jesse commented, it feels different, and hardwood feels much nicer to me as we don't wear shoes in our house.:thumb: As far as durability, it's pretty tough stuff, but we have punctured it in a couple spots. They make patching filler that works ok, but in general I would rather have real wood.

When I put flooring in my office, I was planning to use laminate as it looked so much easier. I'm so glad I decided to change to hardwood flooring at the last minute, I even had the laminate in my garage (took it back). The reason I took it back is that the grain didn't match up, and it bothered me.

I will only use hardwood flooring from now on. When I build my log home, I will use wood flooring in most of the home. Take my comments with a grain of salt, all of our milage varies.

HI.

You might want to consider 'engineered' laminate flooring. As I understand, Pergo is just a printed pattern on a substrate, and as such can never be sanded and refinished. With the engineered flooring, you can get at least one, or may be even two, sandings and refinishing jobs from it. The engineered floor has a 1/8th layer of real wood whereas the Pergo is printed paper with a finish.