Doors or drawers?

Jeff Horton

Since I am really close to finishing the restorations I will FINALLY be able to spend time wood working again. I starting to pull up some designs I was working on and try to finalize them.

This is an entertainment center I was working on. Not sure if I liked the drawers in the original design so I tired it with doors instead. Which do you like better? If I do the doors I am still going to need to build drawers behind them for DVD storage, so it's extra work but I want it to look right.

tv.jpg tv2.jpg

I also changed the top and a couple of other things too, but I am not concerned about those at this point. Just tossing around ideas.

Classic form over function quandry. ;) The drawers would be more usable, but sort of make the entertainment center look like a dresser or buffet (to my jaded eye). The doors have a more consistent and formal look to them, but they would be more trouble to use.

If you expect to be getting into the DVDs a lot, then function maybe should trump form. If you only need occasional access to the drawer contents, then the doors would be my pick. Both ways look nice and I'd be happy to have either in my living room.

Those two cents and a few more bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. :D

P.S. But dude, do you really need two receivers and DVD players? That's just overkill, man. :rofl:

I prefer the doors assuming that this is going into a living space. Like Vaughn says , the drawers make it look a bit too much like a chest of drawers with a telly on the top.

My first thought was to go with the doors, agreeing with Vaughn and Ian's assessment that it looked too much like a clothes dresser. Then, as I flipped back and forth between the pictures, it seemed that the door version seemed very bottom heavy. Could be the difference in the background (behind the TV). So, then I started leaning towards the drawer version, but I couldn't get past the bedroom furniture remarks.

So, to add to the confusion (something I'm very good at :D ), can you do both? Is it worth looking at a single drawer at the top with doors beneath? Oh, wait. Will that make it look like a kitchen cabinet?

I'm so confused. :doh:

You guys are a lot of help, But then again I can' decide either.

There are more drawers than necessary. The wife doesn't have that many DVD's. Looking at it this morning I was thinking maybe a combo of doors and a drawers. Will try that. It's one of those close but no cigar I think.

I'd go with the drawers just from a usability standpoint. Plus I have critters that sometimes like to lay right in from of the TV (especially when Animal Planet is on:D ). Drawers I can slide out over their head, where opening doors requires them to move.

Personally I like the doors.

If you need to get to things like lots of DVDs why not make the shelves full pull out like they do in kitchen cabinets. That way you get the best of both worlds. :thumb: :thumb:

Jeff, could you give us both of the versions from the same view point? I think part of the problem with judging them for me is looking up at one and down on the other. If you want help making the views, send me the SKPs and I'll do it for you.

I'm with the Door group. Drawers would work if it's spot will only be in a bedroom. It is a nice design, so either way would be nice, but the doors are still my choice.