They finally got here...Chisels!

Greg Cook

I ordered a set of turning chisels and a sharpening jig from Penn State on 11/8. I finally got the order on 11/16...jig, but no chisels. :dunno: The order shipping person had transposed a single number, and sent a drill centering vice instead.:doh: Their customer service line was either busy or they put it on "ignore", and after 3 tries and and hour or so, I gave up. :bang: I called the next day, Sat, and the lady said she would send out the correct chisels Monday, express mail. :thumb: I finally got an e.mail confirming "shipment" on Monday. The box left so late on Monday, it wasn't delivered until today..priority. The USPS just left the box on the door!:eek:

Anyway, here they are.

PSI "Benjamin's Best" e.mail special.

PSI 4 pc Precision Sharpening System

My Jet mini lathe I got at Western Tool Supply locally.

Thanks go to Scott Donely, who has helped me a lot in getting started turning.

Now I have to get some hardwood. Hmmmm where to get some cheap?:huh:

I fooled around a bit with a bit of cedar, like in the mini pic, but it's obviously too soft and "stringy"...:doh: But I did get a bunch of "chips" on the table!:rofl: :rofl:

Wow Greg, I missed this yesterday. Welcome into the Abyss. Be sure to take a picture of all the money in your wallet, because that's the only way you'll remember what it looks like. :p

I think you'll be really happy with the Penn State sharpening jig...I know I like mine. I've got the Benjamin's Best "Bowl Turning" chisel set, and have been real happy with them, too. Definitely a step up from my Harbor Freight starter set (although I still get a lot of use from the HF chisels, too, and recommend them to new turners).

Congrats. Now, we need to see pics of a bonker. That's in the rules somewhere I think. :D

Now I have to get some hardwood. Hmmmm where to get some cheap?:huh:

I fooled around a bit with a bit of cedar, like in the mini pic, but it's obviously too soft and "stringy"...:doh: But I did get a bunch of "chips" on the table!:rofl: :rofl:

Cheap wood...?

Simple, get a chainsaw, gas can, mixing thing for oil and gas, gas, oil, chain sharpening jig(s), files, wedges, spare chains, spare bar, safety chaps, safety mitts............ did I forget anything....? :huh:

Yep, get all that stuff and you will find lots of FREE wood :rofl:

Good luck Greg, it is a slippery slope, but boy is it a fun ride!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Good for you Greg, too bad you weren't closer I've got a area of land I've been wanting to put in a farm pond and it needs some serious wood thinning.

Vaughn is right about the money thing, I had to go back to flatwork to make some income to offset my lathe expenditures....kidding.

I'm anxious to see what you'll be making.

I know Seattle is mostly pine trees so....You might want to take a look at your neighbor's houses. Some could be made out of hardwood. Then do what Stu says and grab a chainsaw and some gas!!!:thumb:

Just sneak next door with a sawsall and wait until the turkey hits and they nap. Cut a medium size section of the hardwood siding from behind a bush and use them nice tools to turn some cool stuff. Have a great holiday and be safe.