table saw pusher

Frank Fusco

No, not for pushing the table saw around. ;)
Being one who wishes to eventually get buried with all ten fingers still in place, I was always unhappy with my store-bought pusher that I use(d) for the table saw. It has only about a 1/8" lip for actual pushing. Using a scrap hunk of walnut, I knocked out this thing that looks like a handle wanting a saw. It's pretty hefty, almost an inch thick but it gives a good grip and the pusher part is about 1/2". I was going to cut a fancy shape into it but left the wood for extra weight. Might add some brass screws or tacks later just to fancy it up. Hopefully, with this, and other cautionary measures I'll always be able :type: with all ten.

Attachments

• pusher.jpg
    pusher.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 221
Looks nice, Frank. But, is the handle orientation a bit low..pointing too straight back rather than up a bit to keep your wrist/arm agled up?

I made a similar one.

The Grrrrripers are nice, but I already have the Delta Blade Guard.

Looks nice, Frank. But, is the handle orientation a bit low..pointing too straight back rather than up a bit to keep your wrist/arm agled up?

I made a similar one.

Greg I have something similar that I made using the top part of an Exaktor system. The Grippers work fine with it.

Attachments

• MISC 113.jpg
    MISC 113.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95

I made a similar one.

Greg, you did give me something to think about. It is the same angle as my store-boughten American-Vermont Push Shoe. But, I did leave plenty of 'meat' there and can change the angle. You might see it happen. Thanks.
That Grrripper thingy looks good. Mine may be limited, but it matches my abilities. ;) I didn't see a price, but, I'm guessing that Grrripper thingy costs about $50.00.

Now that pusher's got class. Greg likes his handle over the work like the one of mine pictured here in the back. The handle is removable so I can replace or just change shape of the block as required.

Attachments

• Push%20Blocks.jpg
    Push%20Blocks.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Great Looking!!

Frank,
Like your design. Made 2 (only 1 out of 1/2 ply and 1 out of 3/4 birch ply). I too use them with the dogs and works great. Have a little more height on mine. Great looking compared to mine also.
Chuck

Well would have shown you, but keeps telling me error on page:dunno:

Now that pusher's got class. Greg likes his handle over the work like the one of mine pictured here in the back. The handle is removable so I can replace or just change shape of the block as required.

Glenn,

I like your collection! :thumb:

Seeing the picture of your collection, I can't help but think of some TV ad from my childhood.....Anouncer's voice: "Collect them all! Trade with your friends!" :rofl: :rofl:

pusher redux

Per Glen's eminently intelligent suggestion, I angled the handle so my arm is more elevated and away from the danger zone. Not as high an angle as Glen's but this works and is comfortable.

Attachments

• pusher redux.jpg
    pusher redux.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
Glenn,

I like your collection! :thumb:

Seeing the picture of your collection, I can't help but think of some TV ad from my childhood.....Anouncer's voice: "Collect them all! Trade with your friends!" :rofl: :rofl:

I knew the Grr-Ripper reminded me of something . . . its the 'Transformer' action figures my kids used to have. I wonder if one of them will transform into a Rotex? :D

Those are good ....BUT.... Mine is better :thumb:

Anyway, for me, that is.... I have had a countless number of different pushers over the years and the last one I created seems to fit the bill real well for my uses. It slips over the fence and holds the wood down all the while keeping my hand away from the sharp cutting object that your designs ar right against.

When I don't use a pusher (boards wider than the throat plate) I like to hook one or more fingers over the fence to assure my that my good parts are out of reach. So when I got my new saw and set up my new shop in the basement, I devised this pusher...

The body saddles over the fence with my handle (patterned after a plane tote) keeps my hand high and safe. comfort fit to feel good. (I don't like the handsaw handle as it puts your finger inside a loop and that can keep ahold of you should something happen)

The business side of the saddle is 1/4" plywood and has a cleat to grip the back of the stock. It also provides downward pressure assuring that the piece doesn't rear up whilst ripping. The saddle is the height (plus) of the fence and any lumps or bolts or sticking-up thingys that might be there. It is a close fit to the width of the fence but loose enough to slide easy.

I grab it every time I do close cutting.

I love my fingers and don't want them to go away, so safety is an inportant feature for me. I have tried several designs and like the stick with a notch for some applications but this is for most.

The Gripper is nice but it does place your hand directly over the blade in smaller pieces.

I like my idea best. Often I see other's ideas and wish I had Thunk it up, but not yet have I seen one that I like better, and they surface (or the subject comes around) from time to time.

Attachments

• Push block 1.jpg
    Push block 1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Push block 2.jpg
    Push block 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hey Frank, that's a nice looking pusher :wave: And you get to smell walnut every time you make a cut that takes a kerf out of the pusher :D (I love the smell of walnut dust).

Since everyone is comparing notes, I was going to add that I like using two sticks, one for pushing and one behind the blade as a splitter/hold-down. I think I posted a picture of them six months ago.... perhaps I'll go look for it.

Frank! You've been robbed:

http://us.oak-park.com/catalogue.html?list=RTA--&product=P055

No worries, I had a brilliant idea for one of these:

http://www.benchdog.com/procut.htm

only to walk into a store and see one hanging on the rack ;-(

If its any consolation, I still like your better. It has style.

Thanks. Yes, the pusher shown is OK, but it isn't handmade or have pretty, albiet useless, brass things on it for decoration. My walnut came from the 'extras' pile. Only cost was a little time.