Thread: siblings at play

siblings at play

In my yard this afternoon.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    In my yard this afternoon.
    Hey, I've got a pair of those, too. They've been around about every other day for the past several weeks. Mom's teaching them to eat my Hostas, lettuce, celery, tomatoes and pansies, as well as to drink from my pond. The pond I don't mind, but the rest...
    Jim D.

Great pic Frank! I really enjoy being able to see wildlife up close like that! Unfortunately Like Jim said they can be a nuisance, but they sure are cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Hey, I've got a pair of those, too. They've been around about every other day for the past several weeks. Mom's teaching them to eat my Hostas, lettuce, celery, tomatoes and pansies, as well as to drink from my pond. The pond I don't mind, but the rest...
    Bean plants and tulips are also among their favorites.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Because of some government funding we get for agriculture and forestry use, we actually have to make landowner plans for wildlife. That is fine by us as we have always looked out for wildlife over the years. Anyway, one of the ways we accomplish this is through deer plots.

In a nut shell we plant winter rye in the fall and winter, and then till that under and plant oats in the summer. Over the years we have noticed a lot of deer, some turkeys as well, and occasionally this girl comes out to eat. I snapped this picture about a month ago. She is about 50 feet off my lawn and about 100 feet from the house.

I have to tell you, there is nothing quite like watching deer and moose roaming on your lawn while you enjoy a cup of coffee early in the morning.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Bean plants and tulips are also among their favorites.
    Yeah, I know. Weplanted over 300 tulip bulbs last Fall. The deer got all but about a dozen of them. Really disgusted about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    We average hitting one about every year around here.
    The last one cost us $2100.00 in damage to our crown vic.
    Wife got one with the Subaru a couple days before last Thanksgiving. Also cost about $2,100.00. Bummer!
    Jim D.

They look delicious...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    If anyone is short on deer, they are welcome to come and get some of ours. We average hitting one about every year around here.
    The last one cost us $2100.00 in damage to our crown vic.
    Hunting season isn't that far off. Wats a non-res license cost in MO?

A few years ago I was out snowmobiling and hit and killed a Turkey. It was not on purpose though. I came into a big field and opened my sled up. About a quarter of the way across I came onto a group of turkeys. They took to the air but one was flying low. I inadvertently bounced him off my windshield and watched him roll off into the snow. Because these are federally protected birds I just kept going...kind of afraid I would get into trouble for smoking it, even though it was not on purpose.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Not sure Frank. I don't hunt deer.

We just run over them
    I looked it up. Pretty expensive. I don't shoot them in my back yard. That ain't 'hunting'. But, those turkeys do look tasty at times. I might, one day, be tempted to 'harvest' one.