View Poll Results: Which Roof should Ned install?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metal roof

20 60.61%
  • Three tab

11 33.33%
  • Other

2 6.06%
  • Roof,? He don' neeeed no steenking Roof!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roofing Question

Lightbulb Roofing Question

Ladies and Gents,
    I was in the Borg at lunch today, looking at ladders since the high work is about to begin, and right next to the ladder I was kicking the tires on was a rack of metal roofing.
    I figured out that if I were to put that on instead of shingles, there could be a cost savings. I'm all for that of course, If I did my math just the metal sheets would run me about $400, plus fasteners and felt paper. (I'm presuming that felt paper would still help even under metal roofing). It will still be going over plywood, which Is already in the yard under tarp.

What other hidden costs or procedure am I missing here? Presuming that I will need to:
    • lay plywood sheathing
    • install ice control sheeting
    • put down felt paper (30#)
    • cut and install metal sheets
    • install ridge vent

putting up 30 odd large sheets of metal 'sounds' easier than however many pieces in 6 square of three tab. Some of the steps are the same of course. If it were your shop and you didn't mind either choice, which would you do?

I'm in that last camp, I wouldn't mind three tab, and I'm fine with metal roofing. Especially considering it comes with a comparable warranty (25 years).

p.s. woohoo this was my 700th post!
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 07-23-2007 at 08:59 PM.
    -Ned

Here is the draw back to metal roof. SWEAT! Not yours either. Metal roof can cool fast and then water condenses on it. Dripping onto all your tools. Have you ever noticed that even unheated metal buildings have insulated roofs? In your climate you may never a problem but I don't know.

So, unless you can insulate the metal I say stick with shingles or roll roofing. And metal is noisy as heck when it rains.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Ned

Jeff may be correct for an all metal building, but with metal laid over a plywood, tarpaper deck I don't think that condensation will be a problem at all. If any does form on the underside of the metal, it will be trapped by the tarpaper. But I don't think that is going to be a problem because the roof deck is going to keep air circulation on the underside of the roof to an absolute minimum.

I vote metal!

Jay

I live in the south but I came from the north. I think in an unheated or sometimes heated shed/shop, metal is the choice. Can you say snow load, I knew you could. Although sometimes even a metal roof can't shed the snow fast enough, as I believe at least one of the posters here can attest to. With sheathing and tar paper there should not be a problem with condensation, IMHO.

Metal roof with a good set of ear plugs for when it hails
    --------------
    Cheers! - Jim

My neighbor had a metal (Regal Rib) roof put on his house this year. They put it on over the old asphalt roofing. I had never seen it done that way, but it looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll View Post
    Ned

Jeff may be correct for an all metal building, but with metal laid over a plywood, tarpaper deck I don't think that condensation will be a problem at all.....
    I agree, the plywood would keep it from cooling so fast. I was talking about exposed metal with nothing under it. Thats the way barns and outbuildings are typically built here.

A Church I attended had that problem in an addition. Someone thought removing the insulation (due to a leak) wouldn't hurt anything. Then in the evenings it started raining in the attic space above the drop ceiling. Took me forever to convince them it wasn't a leak. Notice the next metal building your in. The roof will be insulated even if it there is no cooling in it.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Thanks guys, keep the comments coming!

Jeff,
    I am planning on insulating the whole shop 'eventually' (as budget and time allow) I would also put duravent or similar under the decking to keep air flowing, with soffet vents and ridge venting.

Is there anything else that I need to do if I'm going to install it over the decking?
    -Ned

My garage has a metal roof. I have never been in it during a hailstorm. Don't plan to. It doesn't sweat. Metal has gained a lot of popularity lately. I'm not sure why. But, if I were you, I would try to compliment the appearance with the house.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    My garage has a metal roof. I have never been in it during a hailstorm. Don't plan to. It doesn't sweat. Metal has gained a lot of popularity lately. I'm not sure why. But, if I were you, I would try to compliment the appearance with the house.
    aye there's the rub, the $64,000 answer is that the house needs a roof too, and if SWMBO likes the metal roof, guess who does his own roof come the fall?
    -Ned