Maybe I was a bit too hasty

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Just a few days ago I posted "success" when I finally completed the lap joints for my candle stands. Perhaps I jumped the gun a bit. In my effort to make sure I had a good tight joint, I may have gone a bit too far. It seems the joint for one leg was a bit too tight forcing the leg to bow in the center when the joint was clamped together. IHIWTH!:bang:

So, now the assembly rocks. The bigger problem is that now the corbels that support the center column will not sit at 90 degrees. What to do, what to do?:dunno:

I once talked to someone that suggested clamping the piece down with a little extra padding in the center and then wetting the compressed side of the board would help to straighten it. I thought it might be worth a try. The bow was too much to try and pull out with just the corbels, so, if I could just minimize it.....ooops 1.JPG ooops 2.JPG The idea of course is to overbend the wood back in the intended direction and then attempt to swell the compressed wood. Sounds logical, but that don't mean nuttin!:rofl: Won't the wood eventually want to go back to being bowed?

Anyone ever have any luck (or even hear of) with this routine before? Am I wasting my time? Or, will I just have to wait and see?

Hi Rennie, :wave:
Sounds like you got one there, a situation I mean. This is one of those things you are going to work through. You will somehow learn alot on this one, and come out better for it.
This is a good experiment, the bending. I would over compensate a wee bit. Maybe try ammonia( watch the smell:eek: ), it has been used for steam bending as I recall.
Can you thin out the stress causing side of the wood, to relieve some of the tension?
Take it easy on your self, this challenge is purposeful.
Shaz

Can you thin out the stress causing side of the wood, to relieve some of the tension?
Yes - I will be chopping a 1" square hole right in the center to accept the tenon from the upright. This should help. I did place a folded up paper towel under the center to 'over-bend' the leg before moistening it. I got up late for work this morning, so I've not had a chance to check on it. I'll know tonight!

OK, most of the bow came out! - what's left is minimal and I believe can be controlled with the attachment of the corbels. Whew! I've also chopped the 1" square holes for the upright's tenon - this might help as well.
Onward!!! Pics to follow!