Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press

Drill Press

Well got tired of trying to drill holes in 3" pen blanks with a Delta 2 3/8" quill travel. It would also stall when drilling metals. So got a C-man bench top on sale. It has a quill travel of 3.28". Has lasers for drilling and centering holes. Has a digital read out which is very accurate. Within .01". Anyway it had lots of good reviews and I got to use one first hand. I like it a lot so far. Oh I almost forgot I love the crank handle. That thing is awesome when drilling because you can take it all the way around and never let go.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats, Bernie. I'd not seen that one before. I have the little Delta benchtop, and wouldn't mind having a better one. (No room for a standalone model, but I have a good spot on a bench for one.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn. I just got tired of trying to drill those 3" blanks with 2 3/8". I would raise the table and that wasn't the safest thing to do. I really like this thing. It has plenty of power and I like the crank handle. The digital readout is within .01". It shows 3.27" but actually measures 3.29". The book really didn't say what it was but I guessed 3 1/8". If you get to Sears look at it. It is a hoss. I drilled a 1/4" steel tonight and it just ate it. The Delta would stall sometimes.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, I like that... lasers on a drill press great idea. I will say Craftsman is willing to try something different on there tools.

Bernie, I am assuming no run-out (wobble) on the drill bits then? That was the issue I had on my smaller drill press.

You got to love it when you purchase a tool that does exactly what its suppose to and nothing more.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Good Show Bernie!
    A good drill press is hard to beat when you need it.

DT

Thanks everyone. Doug J. it has .0013 run out. No wobble of any kind and runs smooth for a 12" press.

Now don't laugh. I figured out something pretty cool last night. I needed to drill a 1/4" hole 3/8" deep. After thinking about it I run the drill bit down to the wood while the press was off. I reset the digital readout to zero. Turned on the drill and run it into the wood to .375". Measured and sure enough a 3/8" deep hole. I think I am going to like this drill press.
    Bernie W.

Dang you Bernie...I really don't need a new drill press, but you're sure making me want one. I think the digital readout would be the handy thing for me. That, and the extra quill travel. Ah well, I need to let the tool budget rest a bit. Maybe I'll wait for it to go on sale.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sweet!

Hello Bernie,

Your new DP looks very sweet! What's up with the shop though... The background is spotless... There should be at least a foot of shavings on the floor, maybe two or three if you've been roughing bowls all day. Take care and all the best to you and yours!
    Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steve Russell
    Eurowood Werks Studio
    Professional Studio Woodturner

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Russell View Post
    Hello Bernie,

Your new DP looks very sweet! What's up with the shop though... The background is spotless... There should be at least a foot of shavings on the floor, maybe two or three if you've been roughing bowls all day. Take care and all the best to you and yours!
    Well Steve the LOML cleaned off the bench while I was doing assembly and I wasn't paying attention. She even carried out all the curlies on the floor. I told her someone would notice. Of course her answer was, "and your point is." Oh well if it had been up to me it would have been sitting on some curlies.
    Bernie W.