Screen Door Knob Set UPDATED

Wes Bischel

I need some advice on screen door knobs/closers. I have three wood screen/storm doors with Stanley door knobs - mortised into the door (see pic). All three doors close fine using the typical pneumatic closers - except when the storm windows are installed. No matter how the closer is adjusted, or the latch/catch is set the doors won't close and catch.:mad:
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on either hardware or closers I could change before repainting?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Wes

Attachments

• screen door knob.jpg
    screen door knob.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You may be trapping too much air between the doors and the pneumatic closures do not have the strength to completely lock it shut, due to the compression of air.
Solution ? Make sure you understand the problem before you do something drastic:eek: :D
Shaz

Make sure you understand the problem before you do something drastic:eek: :D
Shaz
Gee, is my frustration showing through!?:D :D

I did a bit of testing today based on your suggestions Matt. I put the storms in and went through the normal routine of opening and closing. I checked the hinges and the height of the catch at the strike plate.(with and without the storms) The hinges are tight, and everything seems to be hanging correctly. I checked the gaps and the door frame itself and they all are consistent.
So what did I find out? Something I didn't didn't take note of before. (kinda a DUH moment :doh: ) When the exterior door is closed, the storm door won't latch - BUT, when the exterior door is open, the storm door closes and latches just fine. So I suspect Shaz has got it. I tried a little experiment by pulling the exterior door closed just enough to stay but not latch and then let the storm door go - the storm door closed all of the way and popped the exterior door open.
I'll see what I can find as far as HD closers and try one. I guess this is one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" kind of things.
Thanks for the help and guidance. Hopefully I can have doors that close this winter.:D :thumb: (and a fresh coat of paint)
Thanks, Wes

You may have to consider a...........one way (decorative or inconspicuous) valve.:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rolleyes: Or better yet, from what I have heard, get a vacuum system to SUCK that baby closed!!!!!!!:rofl: Brainstorming here............No offense meant.
Shaz:)
P.S. Congratulations on your problem solving. don't stop now. you ain't done yet.:D

Last edited:
The trapped air syndrome reminds me of my dad's '62 Ford pickup. You had to open the wing vent or the window slightly to close the door (without slamming it) because of the trapped air in the cab.

Wonder if you could find or make some type of inconspicuous valve that would let air out of the space, but not in. :huh:

Screen Door Knob Set

Wes,

I had the same trouble with a door of mine, back in New York, where we used storm/screen doors. (we sure don't use storm doors here, for sure)

I ended up installing a hydralic closer (the same cylinder design as the pneumatic closer but maybe a little larger diameter) and it had enough power to overcome the trapped air enough to close it, unless the wind was blowing hard, in which case you better hang on to the door anyway.

I think Vaughn hit it with the little one-way valve thing. Maybe something on the order of a mail slot could work?

Aloha, Tony

Screen Door Knob Set

One more thought Wes.

I had a cousin who had a bad wind problem with a storm door so he installed 2 closers, one top and one near the bottom. That helped him a lot.

Aloha, Tony

Just an update. I finally found some hydraulic closers. The local Habitat Restore had a pile of new closers - $5 each.:thumb: I picked up a few and installed them. Sure enough, they did the trick! (one per door no less!) Now I get to take it all apart and paint the darn doors.:rolleyes::D

Thanks again for the thoughts and guidance.

Wes