Opinions/Help Please

Nick Clayton

I have interior oak doors that I need to finish. My test samples have me wanting to use a couple coats of thinned blonde dewaxed shellac and the Oxford Hybrivar Varnish; boy is Jeff Weiss at Target Coatings a saint to deal with.

Seeing that I have a few doors and am starting a bathroom project I need to get these finished. I could always brush, but I was recently thinking of renting an HVLP and shooting them instead. While I don't mind taking the time to brush, but if I can obtain the same results with HVLP why not. What are your thoughts? What size nozzles etc would you recommend for shellac and hybrivar?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Nick

Dunno how many a few doors is, or how much a rental costs, but I wouldn't have a problem spraying all the doors in our house with my little $100 HVLP rig. I've got the Harbor Freight version of this. If you can buy one for around the cost of renting one, it might be worth considering.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I don't have any prior spray gun experience to compare it to, but I've been happy with the results I've gotten with this setup. (Spraying Polycrylic straight from the can.)

Dunno how many a few doors is, or how much a rental costs, but I wouldn't have a problem spraying all the doors in our house with my little $100 HVLP rig. I've got the Harbor Freight version of this. If you can buy one for around the cost of renting one, it might be worth considering.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I don't have any prior spray gun experience to compare it to, but I've been happy with the results I've gotten with this setup. (Spraying Polycrylic straight from the can.)

If you're going to spray shellac, just be very sure that EVERYTHING else is covered, because sprayed shellac WILL Stick to EVERYTHING. DAMHIKT.:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you're going to spray shellac, just be very sure that EVERYTHING else is covered, because sprayed shellac WILL Stick to EVERYTHING. DAMHIKT.:rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
And, if possible .......do it outside. And NEVER within spitting distance of an open flame! :eek:
To Vaughn's point, shellac is pretty light weight stuff and the less expensive sprayers should have no trouble with it.

That sounds like fun.:rofl: I am sure it will give you a better finish and at a faster rate. You shoulld consider setting up a tempory both using plastic and some 2x's.