Look what I found.....

So that is what those things are, got to admit, I've not used this kind of mill before, the one we had in the shop you either used a drill chuck, or something that looked more like a lathe chuck.

I've seen those on auction here, cheap, I'll go look again, now that I know what I'm looking at! :D :wave:

OK Pic overload ahead............. :D

20_bucks.jpg 60_bucks.jpg 60_bucks2.jpg 70_bucks.jpg 70_bucks2.jpg

70_bucks3.jpg 85_bucks.jpg 90_bucks.jpg 100_bucks3.jpg collets_100_bucks.jpg

The name of each pic is the price approx, I'm actually about 20% too high, as I just did the conversion from yen to dollar at 1 to 1, but right now it is actually about 120 yen per dollar, so 10,000 yen is about $83 :D

These things are the kind of things I'd be looking for, right?

I guess if I get the machine, I could then slowly acquire the bits and pieces needed.

Cheers!

Stu, what’s on your mill is called a PDQ here in the states. It is a quick change tool holder. It’s hard to say what taper is in the quill but it doesn’t look like an R8 to me (my turret mill is R8) .

The pic’s in post 23 look like MT40 but it’s hard to tell the scale. The last pic of the 8 collets looks like oddball lathe collets. They look similar to the common 5C...but different. :rolleyes:

Thanks Bruce.

A lot of these things are marked NT40...... :dunno:

We shall see.

I did find the maker of this tool are still in business, but they seem to be mainly into HUGE hydraulic presses.

This mill was made in 1985.

Cheers!

Thanks Bruce.

A lot of these things are marked NT40...... :dunno:

We shall see.

I did find the maker of this tool are still in business, but they seem to be mainly into HUGE hydraulic presses.

This mill was made in 1985.

Cheers!

...NT40 Yeah, that's it!
Too many lost brain cells:rolleyes:
Anyway, I would be suprised if that's what's in the drill/mill.

I was wondering about the spindle.... chuck.... thing, I do not think I've seen one like that before......?

Anyone know what exactly it is?

I guess I should shoot the guy some questions, try to find out if it has a MT#3 or what... :huh:
Stu, It's not a Morse taper, I can tell you that. It is not an R8 either. It might be either an ER or similar, hard to tell.

Honestly, it's not that important if you get the collets to use in it. If it comes with some tooling, which most do, it probably includes most of the common sizes.

My $0.02...

Does it come with any tooling?

I'm just going from the pics, so not much there, I'll have to get my lovely wife to fire the guy off a question or two, the problem is, he may not have any idea :rolleyes:

It does not look like there is any tooling that goes with it, just what you see in the pics.

I did find another one..............

takamori1.jpg takamori2.jpg takamori3.jpg
This one is being sold by the same guys I bought Kermit from, so it is local, I can go pick it up, and in fact they say "Pick Up ONLY".

It is also 100V, and it is only about about $100 with 19 hours left! :thumb:

Well OK, actually two.......
makino_yumaku1.jpg makino_yumaku2.jpg makino_yumaku3.jpg
This one is a HUGE unit, again, pick up only, but they will load it........ 550 Kg (1220 lbs) :eek: 3 days left, it is at $300, oh yeah, no motor.....

I think the 100V unit is looking better all the time :rolleyes:

And I just checked, the first one, has already gone to over $300, 6 days left :eek:

Stu,

The top middle pic is a keyless chuck, that's good!

The one below is some type of taper, but not a morse I don't think, they look more uniform. Possible that one is an R8. Hard to tell in pics.

The original post is a mill/drill – not rigid enough for heavy metal cutting but good for light duty milling and drilling.
These two are actually milling machines. The first one has been run hard, it might be good for a hobby but it is pretty rough looking. The second looks to be in great shape. The design looks a lot like the Moore jig bore & jig grinders of 20 years ago.

Sheesh, I can’t catch a break! :cool:

I'm sure you got the joke Bruce but I wanted to make double sure that you read my post as a jab in the ribs about your super clean work environment, not that you had to get the pics out of a catalog. BTW, I wouldn't know an R8 collet from an R7 or an R204 collet. :D

To Stu..........how many hours now till your new mill purchase? What's the bid price up to now? Inquiring and pesky minds are dying to know....................................:D :D :D

The 100V one, the one that Bruce says looks run hard, is only at about $130, with 13 hours left to go. It this one stays cheap, I'm going to try to get it.

Same place I got Kermit from, and Kermit looked VERY rough, but ended up having zero run out on the quill so.... :dunno:

Cheers!:D

The 100V one, the one that Bruce says looks run hard, is only at about $130, with 13 hours left to go. It this one stays cheap, I'm going to try to get it.

Same place I got Kermit from, and Kermit looked VERY rough, but ended up having zero run out on the quill so.... :dunno:

Cheers!:D

OOOooohhhh. I'm sooo excited. My dogs and I are pulling for you Stu. Go get 'em. Hope you get it for $131. :D :D :D

I'm sure you got the joke Bruce but I wanted to make double sure that you read my post as a jab in the ribs about your super clean work environment, not that you had to get the pics out of a catalog. BTW, I wouldn't know an R8 collet from an R7 or an R204 collet. :D

Not to worry Mark, I got the joke. :D
Part of the benny of living in NM is things stay shiny. :p

The original post is a mill/drill – not rigid enough for heavy metal cutting but good for light duty milling and drilling.
Bruce, it looks more sturdy than my mill...:rofl: OTOH, you said you wouldn't use mine...I milled up a jig for my mini-mill, on a BP clone with DRO, finished it up on a Hurco CNC. Almost done, but had a couple problems. The jig itself seems solid and square.

FWIW, I wouldn't go by looks alone, those old industrial type machines typically stay pretty tight. The tightness in the head and table are the telling truth.

Last edited: