Look what I found.....

OOOooohhhh. I'm sooo excited. My dogs and I are pulling for you Stu. Go get 'em. Hope you get it for $131. :D :D :D

Man, with Mark's dog's pulling for me, I guess I'd better clear a spot in the Dungeon for it, as I can't lose! :D :thumb: :headbang:

The auction has 9 hours left, it is up to about $150 :D

I got to get hold of a buddy of mine with a larger truck :rolleyes:

Well, it is up to nearly $200 now, two hours left, I really wonder about people who bid hours before the auction is over..... :dunno: :huh:

Anyway, we shall see how it goes! :rolleyes:

I love mills, its the only tool I know of that can reproduce itself. If you think about it, that is quite the machine. I have thought and thought, and still cannot think of another machine that can do that. That is make itself again and again. As I said, I love mills. Sorry this one escaped you Stu.

Yeah, I know what you mean Travis, Mills are very cool!

With a metal lathe, a mill and a welder, heck this is not much I could not make :D or at least TRY to make!

Think about the nice neat and accurate blade guides etc I can make for the Phoenix :D

Oh well I'll keep looking......

I did find this one..........

Textron1.jpg Textron2.jpg

Says Textron USA :dunno: Made in 1980
Table size is 1070mm x 230 mm (42"x 9"?)

They want about $850 for for it, but it is pick up only, in Nagano, (far) and it weighs in at 989kg (Heavy at about2200 pounds) kind of too big for the Dungeon, but for the money, what a machine to own!! :D :headbang:

Yep, keep looking I will! :wave:

I have an online friend who resides a lot on Wood Online. Anyway the guy is just out and out nice. I helped him rebuild one of his Stanley #140's when I worked for Lie Nielsen, anyway his father was a machinist as well. He worked for Knight machinery making an improved version of the Bridgeport Mill. I thought that was pretty cool.

I would love to have a mill at my house. I have access to our machine shop, but its a 40 mile ride one way to work. You just don't run down there like you would if it was 5 miles away. If it was not for that I think I would be at work 7 days a week...just maybe not building boats.

Stu, Look what I found!

Well, I didn't just find it, I won it on the big auction site over Al Gore's internet.:D

Had to pay $17.01 for it...;)

Last edited:
Stu,

Actually it's a horizontal mill, and Nichols called them the Nichols Horizontal Hand Miller. Yes, they are the preferred type mill to do slotting.

In this case the fixture would hold the brass on edge, so it would be a block with a slot in it to secure the blade on it's back. The blade slots the brass as the table pass under/through it.

Nichols is possibly one of the more popular ones, certainly for production environments, not that I am a production environment, but I tend to like that type of old machinery.:thumb:

Tod,

Funny, the vise is certainly worth $50.:p

I'm pretty happy to get it, let's hope shipping goes ok, and it's in my shop soon...;)

I can’t say that I have ever seen one of those Alan. Very cool. :thumb:
I have few miles on the old Kerney-Trecker & Cincinnati horizontals. You had to have your stock tied down tight or the big shell mill or slitting saw blades would grab the material and spit it across the shop…..DAMHIKT

Thankfully, the RPM was usually pretty slow so the piece wouldn’t fly too far. :rolleyes:

Bruce,

Those Nichols mills were quite popular, and most folks say they're nicer than the KTs. Most of the Cincinnati's I've seen are HUGE. Not that this is any small puppy, weighing in at 1200# and a 48"x40 footprint, I need to figure out where I'm going to put this little pup.

However, the Cincinnati's I've seen rival a Bridgeport in weight, if not more.

The other popular one is a Burke, but not in the same league as the Nichols.

This outta be a bit more precise than the mini-mill I've been working on.:rofl:

I can see you finding a very nice easy way to do your stiff backs now! :thumb:
Stu,

As it turns out, there's another pretty useful task for a horizontal mill.

Check this thread out over on Practical Machinist, where a guy's making a cutter head for a Powermatic 24" Planner. Interesting thread which talks some of the blade angle in the cutter.

More importantly for me, I have a Crescent 8" jointer with a 2-blade cutter head. I should be able to mill a couple more blade slots in the head with the mill. I'll need some type of fixture to hold the cutter head. I'll find out what to use at next week's local hobby machinist meeting.

First I need to get it, I'm waiting to find out if the freight company will pick it up, it's not on a pallet. It's up to the driver's discretion. The seller doesn't seem to friendly after the auction, not nearly as friendly as he was before the auction ended...:dunno: He should be happy, he got the space he needed for his new CNC...:)