For all you OLD ARN afficionados

Nancy Laird

As part of our vacation, we are exploring the western slope of the Rockies in Colorado - we came across Grand Mesa at 10,800-plus feet today. On the south side of the mesa is a little town called Cedaredge, with a replica village called Pioneer Town. These machines were in the blacksmith shop:

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

This lathe has to be at least 10 feet long! I couldn't get close enough to measure, but I think those are 2x12s on the floor in front of it.

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Look at the size of the bit in this drill press! It's probably 1-1/4" or more.

Both are powered by a belt drive with an electric motor driving it. It was fascinating.

Nancy

Cool stuff, Nancy. The drill press looks like it's got a couple feet of quill travel. :eek:

Back in the day when a lot of machines were powered by similar belt systems, I wonder how many guys were called "Lefty". :rolleyes:

Neato! I'd like one of each! Naturally I had to find out what the "Galloping Goose" was.:rolleyes: Pretty cool on it's own.

Wes

Believe me, those old lathes, as cool as they look were scary to run. I’d be willing to bet that there’s at least a 1/16 of play in the saddle. All those old lathes were as loose as a goose.

Very interesting...we have this exact same drill press at work. We no longer use it because of OSHA regulations and I suspect my employer will sell it off at some point. I think it is too big for my shop though.

Neato! I'd like one of each! Naturally I had to find out what the "Galloping Goose" was.:rolleyes: Pretty cool on it's own.

Wes

For those of you who may be curious, here are a couple of views of the Galloping Goose, along with an explanation. This one is in Dolores, Colorado.

They are going to activate the Goose for rides in August--at $65.00 per person!!! I'm not going to make the drive up there.

Nancy
IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Travis,
my dad and i pulled one of those drill presses out of an old maintenance shop and put it in his garage. It's a serious brut, but he uses it regularly. It doesn't take up much of a footprint, and can drill through most anything. It came with a case full of tapered shank bits - He's a happy camper.
If your boss decides to sell that thing off, maybe give it a second thought.
Paul Hubbman