New Use for old Bench

glenn bradley

I had used an old metal bench as a temporary stand for my 'next' bench top. Now that the 'next' bench has its own base and its own place in the shop; what to do with the old metal bench.

I've found something I read to be true; no matter what you're doing, you need about 4 sq ft of surface to set 'stuff' on while you're working. I didn't really have the room for the old bench and was going to send it down the road. I'm in the middle of a make-over and just have 'stuff' everywhere. Yes, I'm taking pics and will bore you with the whole process once it starts to look like something.

Then . . . a thought!

I slapped a piece of particle board on as a top, cut the legs to height and routed a couple grooves to allow for my sled runners to pass. I'll try this for awhile and see if he gets to stay :) .

P.s. The gap between saw and table is due to a stretcher hitting the dust port on the TS. This can be remedied if he gets to stay.

Attachments

• metal-bench-reuse-1-small.jpg
    metal-bench-reuse-1-small.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 125
  • metal-bench-reuse-2-small.jpg
    metal-bench-reuse-2-small.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 89
Beats the heck out of my outfeed table. Sounds like the price was right and you gained some space by moving it there, too.

Sounds like you won't have to give up your Kingdom Glenn. :thumb:

I'm always turning around with both hands full of something and hollering "My Kingdom for a FLAT SURFACE!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

STu: I was reading this thread and....

My 11 yr old daughter walked by and asked "who is the Harley dude?"

Just thought you would want to know.

If I ever have enough room I'm going to have a pile-it-bench, you know a place for when I come into the shop with my hands full I'll have a place to pile it, with a big double door pile-it-cabinet to store piles of stuff that will hold a years worth of piles before I have to clean it out. Yep pile it high but keep the tool tops & benches clear for work.

Sounds great but will it ever happen & will it work? Its my dream & I'm sticking to it.

looks like that will work nicely glenn!

One of the things I'll miss most about my old shop (besides the acreage under roof) will be the outfeed/worktable. John and I had a 4' x 5' table, set to just under the height of the saw, with a cut-out for the stock splitter/guard combo.

found a pic, ignore the funny looking guys behind the table.
eswwapiximag0001.jpg