New SKETCHUP video

Very, Very, Slick.

And... thank you for admitting that you "compressed" the video. Otherwise my Sketchup Inferiority Complex would have gotten rather large. ;)

I think you should slow it down a bit. I do understand the point your making though. Or maybe have a follow up version as a tutorial, nice work by the way as always.

Les

Les, that is a good idea and something I have planned to do. I wanted to just get it out there and see what sort of questions it might generate about specific operations. Then I can concentrate on covering those.

Art, I certainly don't want anyone to feel like they have a "SIC". You certainly shouldn't.

Excellent stuff, Dave. As usual :)

The chamfering around the edges of the round pieces caught my eye. Do you use the offset tool and the move the inner surface?

Jim, you need the extended, extended keyboard with the slow motion button on it. :rofl:

Jason, thank you. For the chamfering, you're half right. I used the Offset tool to set a circle 1/4" in from the edge. Then I selected the outside edge only and while holding the Alt key, used the Move tool. I checked to make sure I got a blue rubber band line to ensure I was moving vertically and then I typed 1/4 Enter to move the edge up 1/4". Presto! A 45° degree chamfer. this works for most chamfers but can give some crazy results on complex curves.

Aha! The edge instead of the surface .. that makes sense.

Keeping it on the right axis is one of the more subtle skills i've finally been able to keep a handle on. It's sometimes tricky and I wish there was an easy way to 'tab through' the various axes until I have the one I want.

Once i have it, holding shift to keep it is fine, it's just getting it that sometimes trips me up.

Jason, you can also exaggerate the move for a moment to get the right axis going, then hold Shift to lock it and come back. The other things to remember are zooming in and orbiting to make getting the direction easier.

That's been the way I've gotten used to doing it ... I think i'm too stuck in my view that i resist zooming or panning for fear of losing my place. Something I've been working on lately is to relax that a bit. It'd really be nice though if I could just tap a key that explicitly set the axis for a second or so and I could hit shift at that point to lock it in.

That, or I get used to how it works and i quit my belly-achin :p

Boy have you got something there.
Now if one could have a split screen, with your video frame for frame that would be awesome teacher.

Hi Dave,
I saw the Round table to music. Very fine presentation, like the format but the music was to hectic.:D You are so good! (option, talk really fast and humm a bit, maybe a medley?):D :rofl:
The finishing touch with your break apart of the integral pieces was a choice ending. Well done.
Shaz

Last edited:
Well Dave, it took me a few days to sweep off enough time to watch both videos, but I want you to know they are both appreciated. Incrementally, I'm gleaning more and more bits of knowledge about SketchUp, and it's all due to you. :D

By the way, who is playing in the music in the first video?

Sorry 'bout the music Robert. I looked through my collection of music for something fast and instrumental. That is what I found. ;)

Vaughn, the artist is Preston Reed. The way he plays a 6-string, you'd think there was a room full of people.

Dave that is great. I wish I could do those at that speed. Your a wonderful information sorce and very kind to help people along
Reg