Raccons

That's too funny. :p

These pictures were taken in the utility room of my previous house, between the water heater and the broom closet. I walked into the kitchen one evening to take your supper dishes to the sink, and found four raccoons snarfing down on a bag of dog food. The little bandits had figured out how to work the doggie door. I opened the door and corralled the dog for a few minutes, then went back to check and see if they'd left. Two of them had hit the road but two decided to stay a bit longer.

Here's the stragglers - one of them is trying to hide behind a paper sack.

raccoon%201.jpg

Here's a little better head shot of one of them:

raccoon%202.jpg

I simply left the back door open, turned out the lights, and kept the dog away for a few more minutes. Eventually they both wandered off, but in no hurry.

Coons are Smart but Real Messy Too.

When school was out after my Sophomore yr at college, five of my buddies and I decided to spend a week camping at the lake before we went to work for the summer. We had a mattress in the bed of each of the pickups and two cots, so we kept our clothes in my room-mate's '50 Ford PU, and put all the groceries in the front seat of my '46 Ford PU and left both windows open to keep things relatively cool the first night. I guess we slept hard after a day of scuba diving and spearfishing, because when we got up the next morning, the inside of my PU had everything torn open, and partially eaten and strewn with flour, cornmeal, broken eggs, and everything else. :( A half day later when we got the mess cleaned up and the trip to the store for more supplies, we continued our outing. That night we got smart and only left the windows cracked about 3 inches, and much to our surprise, the next morning we found the same thing,:huh: (and yes, we all slept through the whole thing again).:rolleyes: :eek: Half day again, cleaning and the long drive to the store. That night one of the guys was so mad about the events, he stayed awake and unbeknown to the rest of us AND much to my chagrin, he armed himself with MY speargun, and about an hour after the rest of us went to sleep, all heck broke loose, seems as he actually shot one of the rascals with my speargun and the raccoon took off, broke the nylon line on the spear, and although we searched that night and two hours the next morning, we never found either the coon or the spear, (which was the only one I had), but we didn't have any more 4 legged visitors the next three nights either.:thumb:

I have used a lot of excuses to get out of work early, but on July 10th 2006 I had a great excuse when the wife called up (10 months pregant) saying

"We got a problem...there is a skunk in the house."

You have never lived until you have experienced this. Words cannot describe how bad it smelled IN OUR HOUSE after the three dogs spoked it.

Yep. Head shot. That's the solution. I do it frequently. They are also predators. More coons, less songbirds, less turkeys, less quail. When fur trapping became non-PC, the population swelled and troubles began for other wildlife. Controlling numbers in your area won't affect general population at all.

Unfortunately, where I live a head shot is gonna land you in the pokey. ;) Even a pellet gun can get you busted here. :eek:

Have a question.......have the same problem with racoons, skunks, possum.

Found on the internet a "motion detector scrobe light".

Does it work? Seems like it should, the motion of the
strobe light should be enough to bug the piddle out of them.