Pictures of my New Addition

I know this is supposed to be for Shop Tours, but since there has been little activity on here lately, I thought a post on my home addition would be okay. Lately I have posted a lot of questions and ideas on the Construction Sub-Forum because it seems my life has been swallowed up by this addition I have been building. Anyway for those of you that would like to see how it is progressing, feel free to take the link.

Travis Johnson Addition

I see you've been busy, Travis. It's looking good. When do we get to see some interior shots? (I guess that'll happen when there's an interior to photograph, huh?) ;)

I gotta get some. I have been busy inside. I got all the wiring/satellite cable/ telephone cables run, and I did finally get the insulation installed last week. That was a big job done...and one that was utterly miserable. I insulated everything, the interior and exterior walls for sound and thermal reasons. Still it took me three weekends to do.

I am tempted to get going on the outside portion of the house, but Alyson is growing and it would be better to get moved into the new addition first, and then do the outside last. Of course its all a timing thing. Putting on shingles in December in Maine is not a whole lot of fun. Besides with snow on the ground I'll be on my sled!!

Oh no, I am not sure if I dare say this, but Cedar Shingles. (that is an inside joke between me and another member). I got a nice line up on some cedar shingles at 60 bucks a square. I even bought a bundle of them just to try them out on my Cupola before I bought 25 square of useless siding. They were excellent quality.

Hey Greg, you are right, I did double the size of my home. The original home was 24 x 40 while the new addition is a bit bigger at 28 x 40. The only reason for the difference is because of the hallway running down the center.

I have this crappy blueprint that roughly shows the layout of the home. I have a far better set of plans but this one was right on my computer, small in size and easy to upload. Anyway as crappy as it is, you can get an idea of the room layout. The only thing I dislike about it is the long, narrow hallway. No matter how I laid it out however, there was really no other way to make the room layout work. In the end I said to fooey with it, and just kept the long hallway.

My house is pretty small, even the old part of the house was small, but I have striven to get big rooms in both parts. The bedroom in the old part of the house, and the new bedroom are all 12 x 16, with some pretty big closets to boot. 12 x 8 master closet while the kids rooms have 6 x 8 closets. The bathroom is 12 x 10, and the laundry room is 8 x 12. Overall I think the layout will work for us.

T_Johnson_House_Plans-528x380.jpg

You did a good job, Travis. Those closets are super!:thumb: We have 12 rooms in our house, but they are on the small size... I would trade for a house with half the number of rooms, if they were bigger, especially the closets/baths. Now a nice big deck off the back.... :rofl:

Greg, I can certainly relate. In the old part of my house it started out as a 24 x 24 "garage". At the time I was 18 years old and getting married. I did not have much money, but I had plenty of land and a sawmill. So I built a 2 car garage figuring I would build a real house when I got time. That little house had a 12 x 24 living room/ kitchen combination. A single 12 x 16 bedroom and a 8 x 12 bathroom/ laundry room combination.It was very small!

After that we put a 24 by 16 addition on and used that as a living room. Basically this made for a small house with big rooms. Now that we have a baby though, that single bedroom home just was not working.

This home, even with the addition is hardly my dream home. If I could do it over again I would build a timber frame home and build it up higher on the hill. I have a spot that has a very nice view. Maybe someday I con convince Alyson and her Husband to take this house, and her mother and I can build a smaller empty nest home elsewhere. Of course that will be awhile, Alyson is only a year old!!

Here is a picture of where I would like to put my dream retirement home.

Farm_and_Foliage.JPG

Last edited: