Best Dressed...........

Stuart Ablett

.....Well, I finally built one of these wheel dresser things, a knock off of various ones you see for sale on the net and elsewhere. :D

The single point diamond I got from Oneway, I think it was about $20 :huh:

wheel_dresser1.JPG wheel_dresser2.JPG

Anyway, works very well, I'm pleased as can be, and boy, does it make a difference :eek:

I thought my grinder was running smooth, but now, with the wheels round, as well as balanced, man is it smooth, you can lay a tool on there and there is not even a hit of a bounce or such, just a nice smooth constant sound! :thumb:

Took me about 30 minutes to whip this up.

Cheers!

PS Bill Lantry, YES you will need to add this to your ever growing collection of lathe related accessories, this, the balancing kit and the better wheels...................TRUST ME on this one ;) :D

Stuart, I have to ask...why didn't you just use a store bought dresser? I assume part of it was the simple fact you got to make something else yourself. It also looks much more stable than something hand held. Thanks for getting a shot of your dust collector solution on the grinder. First time I've see something like that, another project for me!

Stuart, I have to ask...why didn't you just use a store bought dresser?

Well, the Oneway dresser cost $60, plus shipping, which would be a bit more, as the unit is not small, where as just the diamond cost $20 and they slipped it in the box of wheels I ordered, no extra charge. The Oneway one would not fit my system, as they have thier square tubing cocked 45 degrees, mine lays flat. The steel cost maybe $3, the welding, well the wire maybe another ten cents, and all the sundry stuff, not much, say a buck total, so for $20 + say $5 I have a dresser that fits my system, yes it took me 30 minutes to tack it together, but as you noticed, I do enjoy the whole DIY thing :D

When I start trying to make my own diamonds, they it's time to send for the rubber room guys! :rofl:

Cheers!

Way to go Stu. You da man. I just wish I had the time to build a lot of that stuff. Heck I hardly have time to turn let alone build. A couple more years I will have time when the put me out to pasture.:rofl: :eek:

Stu,

"PS Bill Lantry, YES you will need to add this to your ever growing collection of lathe related accessories, this, the balancing kit and the better wheels...................TRUST ME on this one "

I believe you. But what I need is a welder. I'm truly sick of buying what I could make for myself.

But a quick glance says most electric welders run on 220, even the very light duty ones. So I guess I need a gas one? Any ebay link advice for a light duty welder under $100? Or is that asking too much? Even a bandsaw blade welder at harbor freight is more than that... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Looks good, Stu. :thumb:

...PS Bill Lantry, YES you will need to add this to your ever growing collection of lathe related accessories, this, the balancing kit and the better wheels...................TRUST ME on this one ;) :D

Keep in mind there are other ways to dress the wheels...I'm real happy with my T-bar dresser. Nice and fast, with no additional setup required. It's the same as Item C in this pic:

web223big.jpg

Looks good Stu. I wish my welder had a low enough setting for doing that stuff. I have a old industrail arc welder that goes from 50 amps thru 240 amp. Plus my current house doesnt have enough power to run it( needs a 60 amp breaker).:eek:

Stu, you did a great job... there's nothing you can't make... I like that.

Letter "A" is my goto dresser

I grind a lot of tools with a Norton 3X 46 grit "K" grade wheel. To keep the wheel very agressive a star dresser is the choice.

Way to go Stu. You da man. I just wish I had the time to build a lot of that stuff. Heck I hardly have time to turn let alone build. A couple more years I will have time when the put me out to pasture.:rofl: :eek:

Hey Bernie, you'd have "PLENTY" time to build stuff NOW, Iffffffffff.........you'd quit wasting all that time SLEEPING, and only spend about 2 hrs a night sleeping, like Stu does.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stu....I like your dresser.....I especially like the type you made. I have the Oneway equivalent and here's why I like this type of dresser. Please keep in mind, I can be anal at times......

When you dress your wheel, you want the newly dressed surface to be exactly perpendicular to the long axis of the jig mounting bracket. You also want the jig holding bracket to be exactly perpendicular to the shaft on which the grinding wheel is mounted. Thus the jig mounting bracket should be exactly parallel to the side surface of the grinding wheel and the working surface of the wheel perpendicular to the long axis of the jig mounting bracket.

Hard to do freehand....remember I said I could be very anal.....nitpicky that is...

With this style of dresser, it will dress the working surface of the grinding wheel to be perpendicular to the long axis of the jig holding bracket regardless of how poorly it may have been mounted originally.

Nicely done Stu!