Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Windows Washer (computer stuff)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,697

    Windows Washer (computer stuff)

    I have long used the WebRoot software, Windows Washer, as a protection utility. I got my first copy when I was writing software reviews and fell in love with it. Using WW, I don't get spam. Repeat, a bit louder: I DON'T GET SPAM. But, recently, it, somehow, got corrupted. I tried installing from the original floppy disk, but that, also, somehow, got corrupted. In the few days I was without WW in my computer, the spam started coming at the rate of several an hour. What an annoyance , I had forgotten how vicious those spammers can be. Well, joy of joys, on a chance, I looked through my piles of non-organized CDs and found I had made a back-up copy. Installed and cleaned. Bye-by spammers.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  2. #2
    Believe it or not guys, that is why I use AOL. It is free now since I have a high-speed hookup. They have done a great job with their spam filters -- too good in fact, I have to check the spam folder every once in awhile to make sure that they aren't blocking something I actually want to see from a new person that may not have gotten into my address book

    Jay

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Posts
    3,083
    Its always been my understanding that AOL tends to invade many areas of you computer & when it starts to give you problems they are real bad problems.

    I may be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Man thats an old program.

    I used to use it. Totally forgot about it.
    My version is a few years old but it works in XP just fine. They still sell it in a later version for $29.95.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Its always been my understanding that AOL tends to invade many areas of you computer & when it starts to give you problems they are real bad problems.

    I may be wrong it wouldn't be the first time.
    I was at a friend's house recently cleaning up some things on his computer. He uses AOL because his son told him to. Wadda mess. Gotta wade through a mine field of 'stuff' AOL wants you so see and advertising, and more advertising. Usable screen is about 1/4 monitor size. Wadda mess. Did I say that already? Wadda mess. AOL used to be called the Internet with training wheels. What I would call it today isn't fit for a family forum.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    29,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I was at a friend's house recently cleaning up some things on his computer. He uses AOL because his son told him to. Wadda mess. Gotta wade through a mine field of 'stuff' AOL wants you so see and advertising, and more advertising. Usable screen is about 1/4 monitor size. Wadda mess. Did I say that already? Wadda mess. AOL used to be called the Internet with training wheels. What I would call it today isn't fit for a family forum.
    I'm by no means an AOL supporter, but it is not necessary to use AOL's munged-up browser to surf the Internet. Your friend could connect to AOL (however he usually does it), then minimize that window, open up Internet Explorer (or Firefox), and surf just like a normal person.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll View Post
    Believe it or not guys, that is why I use AOL. It is free now since I have a high-speed hookup. They have done a great job with their spam filters -- too good in fact, I have to check the spam folder every once in awhile to make sure that they aren't blocking something I actually want to see from a new person that may not have gotten into my address book

    Jay
    I should have mentioned that WW isn't a conventional filter/blocker. The geeks here might correct me, but, I believe it's effectiveness comes from the fact that it erases ('deletes' in Geek speek) your browsing history, temp. files, cookies and passwords. It also effectively deletes and overwrites deleted e-mail and junk in the recycle bin. That leaves the spammer with no avenue into your computer in the first place. For those paranoid of the Gub'mnt coming in and looking around where you have been on the INTERNET, that's gone and overwritten (I think seven times) making impossible for even the TV sleuths to read it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

  8. #8
    The problem with spam filtering is all about balance. Last year I nearly lost enquiries that ended up in $,000s of orders because I had spam filtering dialled right up tight. If you run a web based business and have to receive email from "strangers" then white-lists don't work and all the other checking mechanisms are less than perfect and therefore the choice is between losing money and having to deal with the scum. Ho Hum!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    29,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...It also effectively deletes and overwrites deleted e-mail and junk in the recycle bin. That leaves the spammer with no avenue into your computer in the first place...
    Um...not necessarily true. The spammer's avenue into your computer has no real connection to your deleted e-mail and other junk in the Recycle Bin. Spammers typically get their addresses from outside sources, who collect them in other ways (like buying mailing lists from legit companies). Some viruses and trojans do look at the stuff on your computer, but in those cases they don't look at the deleted stuff. They typically look at your address book.

    Windows Washer is good at removing your tracks (surfing history), but it really has no bearing on the amount of spam you receive. You mentioned that you got no spam when it was running, but unless it does something I'm not aware of (and that they don't mention on their website), I don't see any way it reduced your spam. My guess is that something else is (or was) running to keep your spam in check.

    (I do system utilities for a living, so I'm pretty well-versed on the subject.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Um...not necessarily true. The spammer's avenue into your computer has no real connection to your deleted e-mail and other junk in the Recycle Bin. Spammers typically get their addresses from outside sources, who collect them in other ways (like buying mailing lists from legit companies). Some viruses and trojans do look at the stuff on your computer, but in those cases they don't look at the deleted stuff. They typically look at your address book.

    Windows Washer is good at removing your tracks (surfing history), but it really has no bearing on the amount of spam you receive. You mentioned that you got no spam when it was running, but unless it does something I'm not aware of (and that they don't mention on their website), I don't see any way it reduced your spam. My guess is that something else is (or was) running to keep your spam in check.

    (I do system utilities for a living, so I'm pretty well-versed on the subject.)

    I won't/can't debate with a true Geek. I'll just report experiences. On another occasion I was without WW for a short period of time. Spam started. Installed WW, spam stopped. Again, I haven't received spam for so long I can't (happily) remember when. Now, I was without for about a week. Spam started. Reinstalled WW yesterday, no spam since. Go figger. Fact is, I don't care why. I just don't have spam.
    "Folks is funny critters."

    Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Similar Threads

  1. looking for a power washer
    By allen levine in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM
  2. Upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 7 ???
    By Al Launier in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM
  3. I can't enter text in Family Woodworking using either Windows XP or Windows Vista
    By Frank Pellow in forum Site Questions and Test Posts
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 03:22 PM
  4. disaster - computer stuff
    By Frank Fusco in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
  5. Oh Boy........... More Computer "Stuff"
    By Stuart Ablett in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •