Sealing ends of logs/blanks

Jeff Bower

My dad told me he read an article that said using saran wrap and rubber bands on the ends of logs stops cracking just as well as anchor seal or other sealants. Have any of you ever tried this?

I didn't know latex paint was an option! I have gallons of that around to use. I thought anchor seal was the only way to go.

I handn't heard of the Saran wrap idea Jeff. I'll have to keep it in mind. Seems it might not be good for long-term storage, but hard to say until I see it in action.

I've used the paint trick (both latex and oil) and have had pretty good success with it. I still prefer the wax sealers like Anchorseal, but it's a great way to use up those odds and ends of paint can stacked in the corner of the garage.

but it's a great way to use up those odds and ends of paint can stacked in the corner of the garage.

Odds and ends are right. I've moved gallons of paint from house to house thinking I could use it for something. Including about 10 almost empty gallon cans from a move from chicago to IA 7 years ago. I don't know where they are now, but I know I still have them! Why, why, why do I keep all these things?

I'm kinda a pack rat, if I ever get around to doing a shop tour you'll see what I mean.

thanks for the help to all of you!!

Odds and ends are right. I've moved gallons of paint from house to house thinking I could use it for something. Including about 10 almost empty gallon cans from a move from chicago to IA 7 years ago. I don't know where they are now, but I know I still have them! Why, why, why do I keep all these things?

I'm kinda a pack rat, if I ever get around to doing a shop tour you'll see what I mean.

thanks for the help to all of you!!
Here in Los Angeles it's illegal to throw away old cans of paint. (They even frown on empty paint cans.) So unless I manage to schlep the cans down to the HazMat drop-off location, they get stacked in the corner.

Jeff I have been using latex paint since I started turning. I put on a coat let dry and then a second coat. I have got some wood that is about 1 yr or older and it has held up great. I am about out of the old latex so will probably either buy some Anchorseal or go to Wal-Mart and buy a cheap 5 gal bucket of latex.

Yep, latex paint works great, but like Berine said, TWO COATS of latex paint.

I use regular carpentrs glue, the white stuff, I mix it 1/3 warm water to 2/3 glue, mix it really well and put on a good coat, let it dry and put on a second coat, works very well so far, and for me, the white glue is WAY cheaper than latex paint, as I've used up all of my partial cans of paint. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Anchorseal, purchased in a 5 gal. bucket is about $12.00 per gallon. Compared to about $20.00 buying a gallon singly. And, with the 5 gal. bucket, there is no shipping charge. (in U.S., sorry, Stu) When I need some, I'll buy the 5 gal. and sell two or three, at my cost, to members of my woodturning club. I save, they save, everybody is happy. And, the stuff keeps if you don't let it freeze.

Shoot Bruce I forgot about that. I just bought 2 gallons of latex b... ugly green for $3.50. Of course the wood doesn't care about the color and actually neither do I. But Bruce is right. Cheap source if you just ask.

Bernie, I just painted 8 logs with ugly green myself yesterday. I picked up a gallon at HD for $2. Glad to get the info from all of you!