Bed/Bath remodel progress.

Greg Cook

I've been remodeling our house and the latest jobs are the upstairs guest bedrooms and bath. We are going with neutral colors, as we will be selling it later this year, and chose powder green and blue for the bedrooms, and a light pastel purple for the bath. All the trim will be white, hardware will be brushed nickel. I've replaced the wall sockets with new flat ones, new face plates and the switches were replaced with paddle type with a built-in night light when the switch is off.

I'm installing crown molding and a chair rail, all in white.

This is the "Green House" bedroom. We used it as a storage room, and kept plants and veggie garden starts in here.

The crown molding is up, but needs some finish work and paint touch-up.

The other bedroom is very similar, but in a pastel blue. I will be starting the molding in that room on Sunday.

This is the guest bathroom. The walls need a second coat, then new lights, door/bath/towel hardware, flooring and molding.

The pastel purple picks up the darker purple in the granite counter top.

All the rooms were a "commercial white", as was the whole house. We are adding a lot of color, but keeping it light and neutral and hoping the molding and trim will really add a lot.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks, guys.

Matt, I'm just making the cuts with my miter saw. This is my first crown job. Turning your brain upside down to cut is in itself...challenging! :rofl: I'm still learning, but it's more interesting than frustrating...right now.

I am going to cope cut the chair rails, or at least give that a good try. I have a lot to install, so I should get pretty good at it....:dunno:

Looks good Greg...as the others have said it should add a lot of resale. Myself I don't know one darn thing about that. My house is built on family land so it will never be sold. That is very forgiving build wise as I can build for any color or style I wish. You on the other hand have it rough. You have to try and predict what someone else will like...someone you have never met, but hope to impress enough to drag a few of those long, long dollars out of their checking account. I can only imagine with every minor flaw you must go through the debate of whether you should fix it, or let it stand and hope a perspective buyer does not notice it.

Good luck to you, on your build and on the sale of your home.

You are lucky in some ways, Travis... Having "Family" land has special meaning, I'm sure. We are actually decorating fairly close to the way we would if we were not selling, though. I am also gaining experience I can use for our next house.

On to the blue guest room. I picked a simpler crown molding for the guest rooms, bed and bath. I made another set of templates for the miter cut. I might try the cope cut later, but flipping the molding upside down and using the crown stops seems to work pretty good.

Here's my "Crown Cutting Station"....:thumb: :rofl:

Here's the room corner before shot.

After initial install..

Chair rails to follow, then paint and touch-up.

Hi Greg, :wave:
You are doing a really impressive job and will be so very pleased with the results. I think your color choices are very wise.
The crown mold looks tight, why cope the chair rail?:)
Molding can be fun, and then you PAINT:eek: !:)
I admire your energy and am sure your tenacity will be rewarded.
Thanks for the pics.
Shaz

Last edited:
Hi Greg, :wave:
You are doing a really impressive job and will be so very pleased with the results. I think your color choices are very wise.

Thanks, Shaz. It's quite a change from "all white"!

The crown mold looks tight, why cope the chair rail?:)

All I've read is that is the best way to do them... Purist? :dunno:

Molding can be fun, and then you PAINT:eek: !:)

The walls/ceiling were re-painted first...

The molding has just primer now. Yeah, I know....basakwards...:doh: But, I'm installing upstairs, with a bunch of stuff right in the middle of the rooms...(intentionally out of the pics...:D ) and cutting down in the garage shop. It's up/down stairs, around corners, through doors....and yes I bang around a bit. Even at that, it's better right now than trying to haul everything upstairs...move a bunch of stuff around...just for molding. So, I will tape and paint the molding when installation is done...:doh: The walls and ceiling will touch up easily.

:rofl:

I admire your energy and am sure your tenacity will be rewarded.
Thanks for the pics.
Shaz

Thanks for looking and your comments!:wave:

Oh, and welcome back...

You are lucky in some ways, Travis... Having "Family" land has special meaning, I'm sure. We are actually decorating fairly close to the way we would if we were not selling, though. I am also gaining experience I can use for our next house.

Yeah this land goes WAYYYYYYYY back. I won't write about all of it now, but my Great Grandfather ten times removed fought for the king of England in the French and Indian war. The King was so impressed with him that he granted him a tract of land in which is now Waldo County, Maine. Well not long afterwards, my family traded sides and fought for the Continental Army. He rose through the ranks quite high and thus when the war ended, he was allowed to keep that tract of land. We still have some of it, though it has dwindled and dwindled down in size. (about 1000 acres now).

Being so close to family (about 300 yards away from my parents, 300 feet for my grandmother, 1/4 mile from my uncle, etc) can have its problems, it also has its benefits. Kids grow up so quick, so its nice to have my grandmother see her great grand daughter grow up, and my parents to see their grand daughter a lot too.

Getting back to woodworking, my father and I share tools, a tractor, land, a sawmill, a shinglemill and other things directly related to woodworking and forestry. Still some times problems arise which can make for some real issues. Trust me, I got a divorce directly related to family issues. :dunno: But overall its good to live near family. Not that it really matters, its home and its all I know!! :rofl: