Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feathered Walnut Hollow Form

Feathered Walnut Hollow Form

This is from a featherd walnut crotch piece I got on eBay a few months ago. I finally got around to turning it. It's about 6 1/4" wide by 2 3/4" tall. It's got a few hairline shrinkage cracks from drying, but I left them as-is. I may change my mind down the road and CA them, but not sure that I'd actually get any down in the crack. It was originally a little rounder on the bottom, but since I left the top pretty flat (to avoid turning away the feathering), I decided to go with a bit straighter sides. I also would have liked for the foot to be a bit smaller, but things got a little thin, and I ran out of wood.

Finished with Tung Oil blend, then a few coats of spray lacquer, with some 600 grit wet sanding in the middle. Polished out with the standard 3-wheel approach.

The pics don't do the wood justice, but I was anxious to show this one off.

Attachment 11111 Attachment 11112 Attachment 11113 Attachment 11114

Opinions and suggestions are welcome.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn,

You have really been making some outstanding pieces.... The finish on this piece is gorgeous!

Did you get your booth finished? Seems like I remember you were going to build one to start selling some of the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Vaughn,

You have really been making some outstanding pieces.... The finish on this piece is gorgeous!

Did you get your booth finished? Seems like I remember you were going to build one to start selling some of the pieces.
    Thanks, Greg.

Stay tuned on the booth...I hope to get some pics of it this weekend, since that's part of the jury submission process. It's not nearly as fancy as some of my original ideas, but it'll evolve over time, and I've got to control the startup costs a bit, too.

workingwoods.com

Fantastic Vaughn, just fantastic!

Man, I got to get back on the lathe, you are really inspiring me here buddy!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Excellent hollow form. It's a keeper for sure. The walnut is great. Somewhere, I have the URL of a California based seller of really fantastic figured walunt gunstocks. Some of the stock blanks sell for up to $7,500.00. If he's not too far away, you might be able to hook up for some of his unusable cut-offs at a reasonable price. I'll look for it and let you know.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Another outstanding piece from the 'House of Vaughn"
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

Vaughn I must say that piece is beautiful. I really like the form and the finish. Very will done buddy.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow that's pretty! You picked a perfect form for showing off that wood. That's really nice!

Looking forward to seeing your booth setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Excellent hollow form. It's a keeper for sure. The walnut is great. Somewhere, I have the URL of a California based seller of really fantastic figured walunt gunstocks. Some of the stock blanks sell for up to $7,500.00. If he's not too far away, you might be able to hook up for some of his unusable cut-offs at a reasonable price. I'll look for it and let you know.
    Thanks for the kind words, Frank (and everyone else). I'm interested in the figured walnut guy if you can find his contact info. I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with walnut. I usually wrestle with cutting and finishing it, but nicely-figured walnut is worth the extra work.

workingwoods.com

Vaugn, the crotch grain is beautiful!! Well done.