Feathered Walnut Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is from a featherd walnut crotch piece I got on eBay a few months ago. I finally got around to turning it. It's about 6 1/4" wide by 2 3/4" tall. It's got a few hairline shrinkage cracks from drying, but I left them as-is. I may change my mind down the road and CA them, but not sure that I'd actually get any down in the crack. It was originally a little rounder on the bottom, but since I left the top pretty flat (to avoid turning away the feathering), I decided to go with a bit straighter sides. I also would have liked for the foot to be a bit smaller, but things got a little thin, and I ran out of wood.

Finished with Tung Oil blend, then a few coats of spray lacquer, with some 600 grit wet sanding in the middle. Polished out with the standard 3-wheel approach.

The pics don't do the wood justice, but I was anxious to show this one off.

HF029 - 04 800.jpg HF029 - 03 800.jpg HF029 - 02 800.jpg HF029 - 01 800.jpg

Opinions and suggestions are welcome. :wave:

Vaughn,

You have really been making some outstanding pieces.... The finish on this piece is gorgeous! :thumb:

Did you get your booth finished? Seems like I remember you were going to build one to start selling some of the pieces.

Vaughn,

You have really been making some outstanding pieces.... The finish on this piece is gorgeous! :thumb:

Did you get your booth finished? Seems like I remember you were going to build one to start selling some of the pieces.
Thanks, Greg. :)

Stay tuned on the booth...I hope to get some pics of it this weekend, since that's part of the jury submission process. It's not nearly as fancy as some of my original ideas, but it'll evolve over time, and I've got to control the startup costs a bit, too.

Excellent hollow form. It's a keeper for sure. The walnut is great. Somewhere, I have the URL of a California based seller of really fantastic figured walunt gunstocks. Some of the stock blanks sell for up to $7,500.00. If he's not too far away, you might be able to hook up for some of his unusable cut-offs at a reasonable price. I'll look for it and let you know.

Excellent hollow form. It's a keeper for sure. The walnut is great. Somewhere, I have the URL of a California based seller of really fantastic figured walunt gunstocks. Some of the stock blanks sell for up to $7,500.00. If he's not too far away, you might be able to hook up for some of his unusable cut-offs at a reasonable price. I'll look for it and let you know.
Thanks for the kind words, Frank (and everyone else). I'm interested in the figured walnut guy if you can find his contact info. I have somewhat of a love/hate relationship with walnut. I usually wrestle with cutting and finishing it, but nicely-figured walnut is worth the extra work.