Hi, from a wood butcher..

Dad used to call himself a wood butcher, but he made some pretty impressive stuff - albeit a little on the "rough" side. I still use the tools/benches/jigs that he left behind as a legacy...

Hi, I'm from North Dakota, and my foremost hobby is metalcasting, but for it, a guy needs a good handle on wood werking to make patterns, jigs, fixtures, furniture, etc..

That's what led me here. It was a "Google" search for "SHOP MADE DISC SANDER", which turned up Allen Bookout's marvelous piece! So neat and tidy.. man you should see mine.. It's laffable!

:rofl:

Oh well - does what I need it to do. I'll be over at the lathe part - askin questions as I know absolutely nuthin bout lathes - metal or wood! A friend gave me one for giggles, and I figgered I'd fire 'er up.

-Jeff

Attachments

• Done.JPG
    Done.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 41
Welcome Jeff.........You will learn a lot on this site.
When you do you will have to change the name "Wood Butcher"

Coffee Pot is on

First off Jeff, Welcome. Secondly, I think your sander is fine (Allen's is purttier ;) ). I have some shop made jigs that are built with TLC and receive the same level of attention I might give a coffee table. Others are purely functional and do their job well enough. Some are a contradiction; I make a real nice cut-off sled and the first thing I do it cut it in half :dunno: .

Again, welcome aboard, you'll find a lot of friendly sharing folks here.

Hey Jeff, welcome to the Family! :wave:

I'm in the camp of "it's got to work well first, then be pretty" :D

If your disk sander works, hey, that is the most important thing, if it works and it looks great, like Allen's..........BONUS :thumb:

Is your avatar one of your castings?

Neat stuff, I just built a forge a little while back :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Hi there Jeff, Welcome home!! :wave:

I noticed you have been doing your homework reading the archives. You sure can learn a lot there.

DT

...Is your avatar one of your castings?...

Yeah. That one I "cheated " on - It was a styrofoam Halloween prop. Buried it in greensand, poured aluminum on it and -Presto/POOF!, Instant coolness! My son confiscated it and it sets in the back window of his Cavalier...

Wish I could lie and say I made the wooden skull pattern, but ain't like me to lie... Stuuf I make is pretty rudimentary. But - hey, I enjoy it and have admiration for any of you who make beauty outta some of the stubbornest media around. People don't stop and think - "Wood is like a current - it has a flow, and it'll fight ya if ya wanna let it..." (Quoted by me dad) - It fights me! I'm tryin to learn finesse, but it takes time...............

Hi Jeff, :wave:
Welcome here. We all bring something to the table, but unlike yourself, too many don't share, for one reason or another.:dunno: . Thanks for getting right in the mix! I like that:thumb: It makes for a better place.
Shaz