'nother pen - tulips anyone?

Ed Nelson

Posted a pic earlier of my first attempt at doing some inlay. Well silly me decided to do my first inlay on a small scale. The wood is purpleheart and poplar in maple. Overall I am happy with the pen and LOML loves it! Let me know what you think!

IMG_0118_1.jpg

As fine as you did, making one of the best Euros I have ever seen, I wouldn't put that much effort/creativity into a pen that probably will not bring over $40.00-$50.00. I would put it in nothing less than a Jr. Gent and probably up to an Emperor. There you would be looking at $200.00-$300.00 or more.

Thanks for the compliments guys! This was an experiment. I have wanted to take a shot at inlay for a while and this seemed like a neat opportunity to try!

Frank, I do want to step up to the larger pens. I've only been doing these for several months. Do the pens you mentioned really sell at $200~$300??? Don't know if I want to go that direction, but what channels do you use to sell your pens? I know a lot of guys have web sites, but you still need to be able to direct people to them. Craft shows seem to require a lot of dedication too!

Last edited:
Hey Ed, how are you doing an inlay that tiny on a cylinder that is tapered and ends up being a pen????????? Being the novice that I am, where I a player I would spend big bucks on your pen and have you sign it too.:D
Shaz

Hey Ed, how are you doing an inlay that tiny on a cylinder that is tapered and ends up being a pen????????? Being the novice that I am, where I a player I would spend big bucks on your pen and have you sign it too.:D
Shaz

Hey Shaz. The pen starts out as a square blank. I did the inlay in 3/4 thickness. The flower is only 1/4" wide. The leaves actually did what I was hoping and flared out a little when I went from square to round. I laminated the 1/4" inlayed piece to a couple other pieces to have a 3/4" blank that was turned to the pen. I saw where some one mentioned that pen turning is like woodworking crack! I think it may be true. I want more and more.:D It is really fun coming up with something other than just a piece of wood, even though there are some spectacular woods out there!

That's a great looking pen, Ed. Awesome work on the inlay.

I think Frank's suggestion of doing this on some pricer kits is a good one. Makes sense to have the mechanism be as high quality as the barrel, and with inlay like that, the barrel is definitely high quality.

Hey Shaz. The pen starts out as a square blank. I did the inlay in 3/4 thickness. The flower is only 1/4" wide. The leaves actually did what I was hoping and flared out a little when I went from square to round. I laminated the 1/4" inlayed piece to a couple other pieces to have a 3/4" blank that was turned to the pen. I saw where some one mentioned that pen turning is like woodworking crack! I think it may be true. I want more and more.:D It is really fun coming up with something other than just a piece of wood, even though there are some spectacular woods out there!
Thanks for the input Ed, that makes it even more fascinating. It really is a great look. I want to see more work coming out of you , you slacker:eek: :D:rofl: .
Shaz :) :wave:

Thanks for the compliments guys! This was an experiment. I have wanted to take a shot at inlay for a while and this seemed like a neat opportunity to try!

Frank, I do want to step up to the larger pens. I've only been doing these for several months. Do the pens you mentioned really sell at $200~$300??? Don't know if I want to go that direction, but what channels do you use to sell your pens? I know a lot of guys have web sites, but you still need to be able to direct people to them. Craft shows seem to require a lot of dedication too!

All sellers have their own outlet and approach. The pens I have that sell in the $100.00 and up range are in an art gallery. They double what I price the items at. Still, I'll make a fair profit on a price I set and also get flattered when someone pays $100.00 to $200.00 (or more) for one of my pens.
My comment is based on the fact that the European is a simple, low price, twist style ball-point pen. Mine sell in the $30.00-$45.00 range and I doubt I could ever get more, regardless of how pretty.
The larger (e.g. Jr. Gent, Gent. and up to Emperor) are often referred to as "power pens". When one is on an executives desk or pulled out at a conference, it is noticed. And, the large pens show off beautiful wood (and inlays ;) ) better than a smaller pen.
I didn't start selling pens in any respectable numbers until I started making more high-end models.
My suggestion is: Go for it. :thumb:

Ed, I'm in love. What a beautiful pen. I love flowers and the whiole inlay looks really nice on the pen. Great first try. :thumb:

I really like the inlay a lot Ed. I'd like to do some myself, would even like to inlay stones in some stuff, but I like the use of PH for the flower. Very tasty.