Thread: ? about 2 #3 Stanley hand planes

? about 2 #3 Stanley hand planes

I have 2 #3 Stanley hand planes one with a dark colored handle which I purchased. One with a lighter colored handle which is my Dad's I have included several pictures.

There are differences in the adjustment knobs & & the handle on Dad's plane has rounded sides the one I purchased has flat sides. I think the casting on the one I purchased seems to be a little thicker.

I am thinking the Dad's plane is the older 1 of the 2.

Can anyone tell me anything about these planes?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I don't know anything about the planes. But, you do need to take the lens shade off your camera before taking flash shots on wide angle. It is vignetting the picture.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Both lever caps have have a date or number 1918750.

Both planes have a raised ring around the base of the knob. Both handles have what looks like a U under them.

Both planes have a No 3 right on the tip of the toe as well as Bailey behind the knob.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Your dad's is definitely older. It's a bit hard to date from the pictures. According to the type study, the type 12 introduced both the high knob and the larger brass adjustment wheel. But your dad's has the high knob and a small adjustment wheel. Your dad's also has the raised ring at the base of the knob which is an indicator of a type 14 or newer.

My guess is that it's a type 14 or newer with a replaced brass adjustment knob. If it has a keyhole in the lever cap, it's a 14 or 15. If a kidney hole, it's newer than a 15 - if we assume the lever cap is original.

The logo on the iron would help pin it down if the iron is original.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.