? about 2 #3 Stanley hand planes

Bart Leetch

I have 2 #3 Stanley hand planes one with a dark colored handle which I purchased. One with a lighter colored handle which is my Dad's I have included several pictures.

There are differences in the adjustment knobs & & the handle on Dad's plane has rounded sides the one I purchased has flat sides. I think the casting on the one I purchased seems to be a little thicker.

I am thinking the Dad's plane is the older 1 of the 2.

Can anyone tell me anything about these planes?

Attachments

• Old hand tools 001.jpg
    Old hand tools 001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Old hand tools 002.jpg
    Old hand tools 002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Old hand tools 003.jpg
    Old hand tools 003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Old hand tools 004.jpg
    Old hand tools 004.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Old hand tools 005.jpg
    Old hand tools 005.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Old hand tools 006.jpg
    Old hand tools 006.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 23
Both lever caps have have a date or number 1918750.

Both planes have a raised ring around the base of the knob. Both handles have what looks like a U under them.

Both planes have a No 3 right on the tip of the toe as well as Bailey behind the knob.

Your dad's is definitely older. It's a bit hard to date from the pictures. According to the type study, the type 12 introduced both the high knob and the larger brass adjustment wheel. But your dad's has the high knob and a small adjustment wheel. Your dad's also has the raised ring at the base of the knob which is an indicator of a type 14 or newer.

My guess is that it's a type 14 or newer with a replaced brass adjustment knob. If it has a keyhole in the lever cap, it's a 14 or 15. If a kidney hole, it's newer than a 15 - if we assume the lever cap is original.

The logo on the iron would help pin it down if the iron is original.

Mike