Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a cyclone (Stu??)

Building a cyclone (Stu??)

I guess this is mainly aimed at Stu since I know he built one. I am to the point I NEED a DC system bad! I have some allergy problems and don't want them to get worse. I want a Bill Pentz cyclone but I keep choking on the $1000 price tag from Clearvue.

I know Bill offere plans for his and I am starting to think that maybe building one is not such a bad idea. So, how big and hard is this project? I can't help but wonder if it worth the effort to build vs. just buying? Anyone besides Stu built one?

Jeff,

I know a fellow on the canadianwoodworking.com forum, named Bryan Cowing, and he built himself a Pentz cyclone in record time. Unfortunately I can only find a link to his "project completed" thread, and not the thread wherein he actually had photos of the project in progress. (the forum changed software, which I think lost their old posts)

The key for him were two things: he had (or bought) some air powered shears, which made cutting the metal a breeze. And secondly, he bought the metal from a sheet metal shop and they rolled and folded some of the major parts for him. (folded the intake). This cut his assembly time to 8 hours.

FYI, FWIW.

...art

There's a photo album on ClearVue's gallery site that has a Pentz design DC built from scratch. It has lots of pics and may answer a few questions for you.
    http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Als-Cyclone-project
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Art nailed it, if you can get a sheet metal shop to cut, roll and weld, solder the thing up, you will save yourself a TON of work.

I really had no alternitive, so I did the whole deal by myself.

If I live in the US or Canada, I'd look for a sheetmetal shop that would play ball.

The plans you can download from Bill's site are MORE than detailed enough that a good sheetmetal fabricator can make the whole thing.

The air powered sheers are good, but you got to have a good compressor, I think that the electric type are maybe better for most guys (looks like a hand drill, but has a cutter on the nose instead of a chuck).

Lots of work, yeah, but I'm glad I did it, lets me breath a lot better down in my hole

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Just the kind of advice I was looking for. I used to work for a sheet metal shop years ago designing stuff. Unfortunately no contacts in that field any more but I know a couple of shops. May take them the plans and get a price from them. Will probably make the Clearvue look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    . Will probably make the Clearvue look better.

Maybe... Bryan reported that he paid $40 for his sheet metal.
    He did assemble, rivet, and solder himself. But the rolling/bending made a big difference.

Chris Padilla made his on the Pentz design. I think he had some pretty good information and pictures on SMC a year and a half ago or so. Do a search there and I bet you'll find it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Thanks Jim, but I am bad boy and not allowed at SMC anymore.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Chris [my brother] is a member here. Pm him for the link and info

Jeff, I suggest calling Ed at Clearvue. I would at least buy the motor and blower from him. He'll help you along the way with the rest. I can't say enough about him. He's not so concerned about getting your money as he is helping you build the unit that suits your needs. I thought about building my own also. I used to work in a steel fabrication shop. I could have built my own but, decided to buy the whole unit from Ed. I'm not sorry in the least. I must have called him 4-5 times before making my decision.