Century motor

Jeff Horton

I feel blessed! Just had a stranger email me an offer me this old motor. Saw my posts in one of he WW forums and knew I restored old machines. He thinks it is a 1/2 hp but I can tell from the photos it is a Repulsion-Induction motor. So that means it has more torque and will be close to a new 1 HP motor. Just looking to find it a good home.

He is within driving distance and along the path is that DeWalt RAS I mentioned earlier. So, if he still has the saw I can swing by and take a look at it too.

century1.jpg century2.jpg

It's a shame there is no value in these old motors. Even amount OWWM'ers there not worth much. Just glad this one won't be going to the scrap yard. Well assuming it can be made run that is! But it was stored all these years, it probably ran when it was squirreled away.

Jeff, that is way cool.:thumb:

I remember the Century motors from when I was a kid. We had a Century oscillating fan that need to be oiled a couple times each summer. That fan was built like the proverbial brick outhouse.:) My Dad used a used Century motor to build an air compressor for spraying paint, some time around 1948-50.

I would like to see a series of pictures as you restore the motor. Perhaps others would also. :huh:

...........I would like to see a series of pictures as you restore the motor. Perhaps others would also. :huh:

Jeff....................take pics of a machine he is restoring.............that's not going to happen......................NOT :D

I too will look forward to the Rebuild of the Century! :D :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thats like Stu not taking photos too. :rofl:

It may be while. I am pretty much burn out and I don't have a use for the motor at the moment. I am really wanting to do some woodworking. But give me some time to woodwork and that it will probably fall in between a project as filler. While I wait on finish to dry or something.

Love those old R/I motors. I've got an old 1/4 hp motor that's about as big and heavy as the "new" capacitor start 2 hp motor on my contractor saw. It's bolted to my old Walker Turner 24" scroll saw, and the ballast definitely smooths out some vibration.
Nice get.
Paul Hubbman

I need to go get that motor. He said it was sitting and waiting on me, but it's $30 in gas away so I was waiting on something else to come in that direction. But haven't needed anything down that way yet.

Seeing this thread make me think, I have that turn of the century Wysong mortiser coming. This motor might be just right for it. It currently has a new Baldor on it. Kind of distracts from the coolness factor.