Black Friday, are you doing it?

Doug Jones

Anyone here crazy enough to actually go out and attempt the shopping crowd tomorrow morning. My wife and her daughter are heading out in the early hours. I will still be asleep and digesting my turkey meal.

Nope. Not brave enough to get ran over in the parking lot before I even get into the mall:eek: ;) :)

Normally I'd not venture out at all tomorrow but cant avoid it this time. I've got to pick up an Rx refill and while I'm there I may as well get a couple of grocery items I'm out of. I'll have to compete with all the idiots at Meijers that are there for the sale stuff. Yuck. Maybe I'll spot something on sale I'd be interested in but that's not really why I'm going.

I'll be at the office tomorrow. The only shopping I have planned for this weekend is to go pick up the little 7" bench vise from Rockler that's on half-price sale. I don't have a WW vise, and until someday when I build myself a nicer bench, this one should do nicely. Especially for $25. ;)

Our local Ace Hardware has some neat little Stanley hand tools/gadgets on sale. If you buy one for $6.99 you get a $5.00 rebate on it making it only a $1.99.
You've got to get there early (7 am) to take advantage of the sale.. :( Would like to go however I think we'll be out working in the shop.

Otherwise... I NEVER do black friday... I can not stand the chaos...:eek:

Denise

I can't ever remember not working on that day. I worked retail home and car stereo for 9 years, ending in 1987. It smewhat ruined the Christmas season for me for a long time. The money was good, but the hassle, long hours, and incredibly obnoxious customers really put a damper on things. Still don't enjoy it as much as I know I should. Now I wish I could be one of those obnoxious customers!! :D
And I'll be working again this year, but it's more of a hassle just having to be there. It's never busy. Jim.

I hate shopping in the crowds but the last two years Staples has had some early bird special that I had to go get for a Christmas gift. I notice this year they have 200 Gig Hard Drives for 19.95 after rebate. I have an older computer someone gave me that I am working on. I want to set it up as a file server to back up too.

I am really tempted to get up tomorrow morning and go get one of those. Plus my shop stereo died to. I have a network jack pulled to the basement just in case. So it could go down there and serve as my shop computer/stereo/file server.

Wife and her friend are leaving the house at 4:30, I can't say it is crazy to get up that early since I do it during fishing and hunting season...but at least once I get on the lake or in the woods I am generally by myself.

I am however going tomorrow at a much later time, my dad asked me to go to the borg and look at some floor tile he'd like me to put down when he goes south, and Menards is having a big sale.....otherwise, nope I stay at home or in my shop.

NOPE! Tried it once 2 years ago with the LOML. Won't make that mistake again. We started at Sears. I cruised the Craftsman tool aisles while SWMBO shopped. I whined and groveled. SHe took me home and continued without me. Never again!

There is nothing that I need that bad. Crazed people, screaming banchies (kids), ignorant drivers no alcohol allowed while shopping. This is definitely not for me. On line sales, beer in hand, peace and quiet, I'm good, really good.

I spent 15 years in retail selling cameras and managing camera stores. I dreaded the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is nothing on earth that I would want to buy badly enough to get me into a store on the Friday after Thanksgiving even if they were giving it away for free.

Today I am at work. There are only 28 cases on the surgery list. It's quiet. Ahhh. :thumb:

Don't know why it is called Black Friday. We just returned from a nice Thanksgiving with the son, daughter-in-law, our grands and other relatives. Wife is going somewhere today, I'll watch the Arkansas Razorbacks whup up on Louisiana State today (in peace). Tomorrow, I'll grab the rifle gun, hop on my ATV, and go try to murder Bambi.

THey do............I didn't turn then............Interestingly....Wednesday the LOML and I discussed what we wanted for Christmas should the kids or grandkids ask. THe kids called inquiring yesterday morning. Excellent timing. We got airline tickets for each other. My wife is going to Illinois to spend Christmas with her recently widowed Mom. I'm going so that I don't have to spend Christmas alone. Prior to last March when I became a turner, I'd give her a list of 60' & 70's music cds I wanted or a gift certificate to HD..........Now.....the only time I go to HD is if I need some finishing products for my turnings......That'll change after Christmas.....The diving board lathe bench is coming down and finishing my shop is going to be my driving project. Next year should be a BIG Christmas for me........we've budgeted for me to buy a bs, dc, aircraft carrier jointer a PM 3520B and other goodies. So....the shop is going to get finished this spring and cabinets built.

THey do............I didn't turn then............Interestingly....Wednesday the LOML and I discussed what we wanted for Christmas should the kids or grandkids ask. THe kids called inquiring yesterday morning. Excellent timing. We got airline tickets for each other. My wife is going to Illinois to spend Christmas with her recently widowed Mom. I'm going so that I don't have to spend Christmas alone. Prior to last March when I became a turner, I'd give her a list of 60' & 70's music cds I wanted or a gift certificate to HD..........Now.....the only time I go to HD is if I need some finishing products for my turnings......That'll change after Christmas.....The diving board lathe bench is coming down and finishing my shop is going to be my driving project. Next year should be a BIG Christmas for me........we've budgeted for me to buy a bs, dc, aircraft carrier jointer a PM 3520B and other goodies. So....the shop is going to get finished this spring and cabinets built.

Well, you had BETTER get that shop finished! :thumb:

Can't wait to see the pics! :D