Thread: red elm

red elm

the city is cutting trees damaged by an ice storm last winter. one is on my daughter's property and when i saw the color of the heartwood i thought i need a couple of chunks of this stuff. the local wood mill calls it red elm. does anyone have any experience turning this stuff???

i had to walk away from the main trunk as it was about 30" in diameter and i can't handle that size. but here's a picture of it freshly cut.

Attachment 11189

there was water actually running on this freshly cut surface so i'm sure it will not be this red when dry but, again, the wood mill said the color will red up again when the finish goes on.

let me know if there is any experience turning this wood.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

I've never turned it, but I recall seeing others who had. I'd say if you can get some, do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So take it and cut it up into sizes you can turn. It turns like butter and some of it has some awesome grain to it. I would have grabbed that 30" trunk and cut it down to size that I could handle.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.