My turn to whine

Jeff Horton

The small window AC unit in the shop died. Refuses to start now and it's in the upper 90's here! Talked to my HVAC buddy and he says they are disposable and not worth fixing most times. It has a touch pad control and since it was working this morning, we are guessing it went bad. It simply does nothing now.

In our discussion he made a comment that I am sure he wouldn't say to 99% of his clients. But he pointed out that I could straight wiring it. ;) He said I might want to just bypass the controls. All I needed was power to the compressor and the fan(s). Since I just use it a couple hours at a time, just hot wire it and unplug it when I was done. :thumb: I like that idea.

Well it worked this morning..... for a while. Then it died again. Then it ran, then it died again. Controls are shot for sure. I simply did as my buddy suggested and bypassed the controls. We could add a thermostat on the wall pretty simply. But I typically run it 2 to 3 hours a day and it never cycles off anyway. Saturdays or on an off day off it runs all day. But again, it never gets it cold enough to shut down in hot weather. If it dies, I will just have to buy another one. But it's cooling again, now I can work!

summer is over for retail, heck it's time to start setting up Christmas displays :)
Not to dispute that, but it is August, which IMO is traditionally the hottest month of the year in the U.S., humidity is also the highest in far away places like Alabama, Georgia, Carolinas, etc...:rofl:

It's been about 70-80 degrees out here on the west coast, but fortunately we don't have much in the way of that humidity...:p