Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy lurking

new guy lurking

Hello folks,

I lurk on a few forums and this feels like one of the nice ones! I am the father of two and don't get to work wood as much as I'd like, but love to read about what others do. I like general ww, turning and carving. I also like jigs and have already seen some cool ones here.

I am up here in Northern California (Near sacramento)and have seen a couple others like me, which seems rare in the forums (or maybe some don't want to admit it?)

I wonder where to look for the "family" part of the forum. Are there kids' projects or tips on how to convince the wife to let me buy more tools? I bring my four year old daughter into the garage/shop with me and we have lots of fun.

Thanks for the good info!

Mike

Hello Mike! Welcome to the forum. You have found a great forum with lots of great people. The folks here are all real nice and believe in helping each other out, hence the "Family". I know there are quite a few parents here and they may be able to help you find some of the projects you are looking for. There are people of all skill levels and all backgrounds. We don't have a lot of carvers, but please don't let that stop you from posting pics (by the way...we LOVE pics!) I admire those that can carve and with enough of a push, I may even try it someday! Don't be shy, jump right in!

Hi Mike,
    Welcome to the Family.
    This woodworking forum is relatively new. Saying that I must admit as of yet we all, do not have a handle on the young persons participation. I think this is a thing to be developed and offers tremendous opportunities for sharing with the little ones, fellowship in a single parent home, stress relief, creative excitement and many other things.
    Don't give up hope. It is very important, after all, who would not like to share something they really enjoy with someone they really love. And you know, the little sponges( ) are very receptive.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cerney View Post
    Hello folks,

I lurk on a few forums and this feels like one of the nice ones! ...
    We are NOT nice! We're a bunch of grumpy old men with bad attitudes. ('Scuse me for a second...)

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU ONE MORE TIME, I'M GONNA CALL THE COPS!!! I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME!!!!!

Sorry about that. Danged kids...

OK, where was I? Oh yeah...the grumpy old men part...um...well...I can't remember what I was gonna say. I may be losing my memory, but at least I'm not losing my memory.

Welcome to the clubhouse, Mike! We can always fit another chair around the woodstove (or the air conditioner, depending on the season). As Shaz mentioned, we don't really have a lot in place right now for the "family" part, but we're always open to ideas and suggestions, and we welcome others to tell us about their "family" woodworking experiences. (Frank Pellow comes to mind on this point.)

Feel free to watch, share, ask, gloat, help, worry, mourn, or laugh along with the rest of us. And in case you hadn't noticed yet, we like pictures, so don't be shy about posting them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Welcome, Mike! Can't help you with the kids part as LOML and I chose not to have any. But this is a great place that is family friendly.
    Has anyone told you we love pictures?? We even like pictures of kids and animals. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Don't mind the weird hippy above posing as a grumpy old man! All families have one!

Welcome Mike!

Since my two daughters discovered "Clothes" I'm having more trouble getting them into the workshop, but I still try

Vaughn you kill me, can anyone imagine the spectacle of this longhaired woodturner out yelling at the kids

That would be the day, he's still a kid himself

Again, welcome to the Family Mike!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Welcome aboard Mike!
    If you have a spinny machine you will fit right in around here.
    I'm a flat worker in a sea of spinny things!

DT

Hey Mike

Welcome to the family -- you'll have fun here

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    We are NOT nice! We're a bunch of grumpy old men with bad attitudes. ('Scuse me for a second...)

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN! IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU ONE MORE TIME, I'M GONNA CALL THE COPS!!! I'M SERIOUS THIS TIME!!!!!

Sorry about that. Danged kids...

OK, where was I? Oh yeah...the grumpy old men part...um...well...I can't remember what I was gonna say. I may be losing my memory, but at least I'm not losing my memory.
    vaughn, you owe me a new monitor And Keyboard!

sad thing is, that was Me at age 28 or so. I've mellowed since then.

Mike,
    welcome to the fold, I hear ya about not having time (or gumption) to do any real woodworking. that's ok, c'mon in and commiserate anyway! as Vaughn said, we love pics!
    -Ned