Progress Report

Bruce Page

On the cabinet from ….Hades

Actually, I’m starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. :)
I installed the back panel today along with a piece of ½” birch ply (yeah, I think I got enough screws in it. That piece of ply ain’t going nowhere!) :rolleyes:

I hope you can get a good feel for the grain pattern, I think it is going to be impressive once I get the finish on it.
All I have left is the shelves, ¼ rounds for the glass, and the 5 drawers……

The drawers are intimidating me a lot. I have never made drawers that didn’t have a false front - a false front can compensate for a lot. I will be using my Omnijig (which I love) but getting a perfect fit into each drawer cavity is scary to say the least. Any tips you all can provide will be greatly appreciated!
As I said in an earlier post, I’m working towards doing the finish work this winter when I can control the temperature in the shop.
LOML is after me to do the kitchen next……..

Attachments

• BP1.jpg
    BP1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
  • BP2.jpg
    BP2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BP3.jpg
    BP3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
  • BP4.jpg
    BP4.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
  • BP5.jpg
    BP5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Bruce,

That's one beautiful cabinet.

But, please be advised that, "In the interest of saving energy, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned out, until further notice". :rofl:

Aloha, Tony

Wow Bruce, that is going to be super! :thumb:

Leave your drawers a bit too bit and sand, or handplane them down to fit...:dunno:

Make sure you have extra stock on hand so you can make a "Practice" drawer ;) :D

I'm sure you will figure it out!

Great looking cabinet! What will it be used for. You have really done a nice job on it and I'm sure the drawers will come out fine! You might want to do a dry run with some cheap pine first though!

Lookin' Mi"T"fine, Bruce, and I'm sure that since you got those doors fitted so nicely, you'll get the drawers to fit right too.:thumb: :)

Beautiful Bruce. I love the pined cornors. do you have a close shot of the rails to hold the glass. I love the style and wood selection:thumb:
Reg

Bruce, the cabinet looks great.

From the pics you can see the beauty of the wood, the grain, rays and flecks.

I can only imagine how much better it looks in person.

How is this cabinet going to be used?

Joe

lookin` good bruce!
i like to size drawers exactly, as in so tight they won`t move short of a large hammer, then plane to fit checking often...you are doing raised panel bottoms aren`t you?;)

Wow Bruce, that is coming along so well. It looks great. It might be tough now, but it looks as though it will be worth it when you finally get to the promised land (finished project)!

Thanks guys. The cabinet will house SWMBO’s elephant collection – at least part of the collection. :rolleyes:
Reg, I’m going to make ¼” corner-round to hold the glass in. I think I counted the number of pieces once, something like 72 pieces to make & fit… :eek:
Tod, does the raised panel go on the bottom top or the bottom bottom? :huh:

Hey Bruce,
That's looking great! Hope your finish will be delicate as it looks really great just natural!

I'm fitting tongue and groove slats for the back of the buffet I'm working on. Should have followed your example and used first rate wood. Instead I used the worst of the lot thinking that even if the wood has issues, when I plane it down to 1/2 inch those issues will go away. Well, the twist, cup, and bow sure didn't go away. You can imagine how much fun it was to fit the tongues into the grooves with bowed stock:eek: :doh:

And by the way, I see the shop but where's the sawdust??

Great work!:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks Jesse. I was lucky that the QSWO stayed fairly flat. I also made the tongue & groove joint a little loose – I didn’t see any advantage to making them tight.
Sawdust? I don’t make no stinking sawdust! I use a dust free Light Saber to make all of my cuts! :cool:

Holy cow Bruce - I wouldn't want to put anything in the cabinet to cover up that wood! Are you sure the display case isn't to display the back of the cabinet?!:D :thumb: Very nice, I'll be interested to see it with drawers and finish!

Wes