Exotic Pine?

Al killian

Yesterday on my way to town to deposit my check in the bank I saw to pine logs for sale on the side of the road. I stoped and ask the guy what he was asking for them and said $75.00. Well I told him that wasnt to bad for both, then he informed me that was each.:eek: :huh: The logs where about 8' long by 12" across and had lots of branches that where cut off. This means there would be tons of knots and the wood would be basicly construction grade. I treid to tell him what pine log like this go for but he thinks they are quality logs.:rolleyes: What would you pay for them/ I have 7 pine logs that are clear and 17" across waiting for the sawyer in a couple of weeks. Just figured that I might be able to stock up on a few more logs.

This guy sounds like the kind of guy that wants to sell his 10 year old watch-a-ma-jig. It's ten years old but it "looks like" brand new so he asks for about 90% of new "'cause it should be worth it". :rolleyes:

I'd pass on this deal, but...ymmv.

Was he goin to pay you that to haul them away? :rolleyes:
Good for kindlin'.
I drive by a place, about half-way between my home and Little Rock, that puts tons and tons of pine logs and part logs out near the highway with a "FREE" sign on them.

If you are interested in that, I've got some aged, gourmet T1-11 paneling for only $98 a sheet. OK, that was supposed to be funny but, maybe not. I don't think the wood is worth what he's asking unless there is some driving need for just what those logs may be hiding inside. He knew it was pine, right?

About $2 bdft by my maths :rofl:

I guess you could buy his logs and saw about $20 of timber out of each, and the sawing would cost you $12 :huh: :doh:

Cheers

Ian

I have an Uncle like this guy. He is overcome with this personality disease that forces him to count other peoples money at every instance. Its just the way he thinks, and I think this guy thinks the same way.

That way of thinking goes something like this..."The last time I went into the BORG, the lumber had some knots and yet people were paying 20 bucks for a board this long and this wide. If they are willing to pay that then I am not giving this log away. This log should have at least 1 boards that wide, and several narrow boards. It should be worth 75 bucks or so."

That is just the way they think. My Uncle tried to sell some used staging at the same price you can buy brand new staging for. He figured that since staging does not deteriorate, or lose its functionality over the years, his used staging was worth just as much as new staging. Obviously he did not sell it.

Getting back to the pine logs, its a sad reality but people just don't understand that logs and lumber are everywhere. The cost is not in growing the logs or even harvesting them...the true cost is in converting the log into lumber, then drying it so it does not crack, warp or twist, then planing the wood into usable lumber. That is where the cost is.

Yes he was aware that it was pine. Yes he was thinking that you simply slice the log in strips and thats it. I tried to some him how logs are cut and that there would be lots of waste on a log that same. Then I told him how pepole uaslly give pine away a it isnt worth much by time you pay for logging, drying, fuel and other cost. Maybe he will call me after they sit there a few month.

I've been a logger for many years (professional for two) and often get the same response. What people don't realize is that one tree is typically worthless...get 20 acres filled with high grade Ash, Cherry or Oak and we'll talk. That is when its worth hauling in the skidders, trucks and chainsaws...for one tree though? Sorry.