...And the people in the houses all went to the university

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

If you're old enough to remember that song, by now you know I've made a little box. It was Joseph's two year anniversary with his girlfriend, and I'd just picked up two Richard Raffin videos. Not that the box has anything to do with his, it doesn't even have a friction fit lid. What helped me most in the videos was watching him spin the workpiece at a MUCH higher speed than I'm used to. It's amazing how fast he goes from square to round... at first I though it was the heavy duty tools, then I figured out it was just plain RPMs.

Anyway, here it is, 6 1/2 tall, two and a half wide slightly spalted cherry, bizarrely finished with a mix of teak oil and lacquer (the first looked like heck, so I mostly sanded it off, but it worked it's way deep into the worm holes and cracks... then I got out a spray can of lacquer... ;) Oh, and don't worry, I didn't do his famously crazy backhanded hollowing cut... I used a forstner bit held in the tailstock... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

box 012 (Medium).jpg

box 013 (Medium).jpg

box 014 (Medium).jpg

box 015 (Medium).jpg

box 017 (Medium).jpg

That came out great, Bill. :clap: I've not turned a box yet, but I've got a few pieces of wood that look like they want to become boxes, so it'll
happen one of these days.

Great effort Bill!

I too had to learn to spin faster, now I go as fast as I can, to the point of that little voice saying "oh, this is getting scary..." then I back it off just a touch (I know you cannot do that as easily without a variable speed lathe, but you get the idea).

Nice box, I too have not done one yet, I have some wood begging to be "Boxed" :rofl:

Cheers!