Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sketchup for dummies

sketchup for dummies

Thought you all might be intrested in this
    http://www.aidanchopra.com/
    sketchup for dummies. I know I could really use something like that
    Reg

Does anyone have this book...used it? Reviews or comments?

Thanks

It's supposed to be coming. Haven't seen it yet.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

I just received my copy today. It doesn't look half bad. It actually seems to be a lot more comprehensive than I expected. Each picture looks pretty well complemented by the text.

I have along way to go though, I am as much of a newbie as it gets to SU. With the help of all of Dave's work that I can find, I hope to progress quick.

Justin, since Aidan works on the SketchUp team he is pretty knowledgeable about the product. I'm still here to help though. And for more of my babbling please look at the Design. Click. Build blog on FineWoodworking.com

Dave

My dad got it not too long ago. Maybe he'll chime in with a review. In a nutshell he told me it was poor, structurally. The author definitely knows his stuff but does not convey it in a linear fashion so my dad found himself getting lost more than he cared for. Bearing in mind that we all learn and process information differently; another person may have a different opinion. He has other "for Dummies" books that he likes to varying degrees.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Ok, I am now around 50 pages into the book, and I have already caught myself saying, "Ah, that's how you do that." or "Oh, that would've made my life easier." more times than I have fingers and toes. I have used CAD before, but it is so teadeous. I can't wait to get home to actually try what I just read about. I do like the fact that Sketchup allows for multiple control commands to produce the same outcome. I am a firm believer that one should spend a good amount of time mastering the basics before moving on to the more difficult stuff. The beginning models that Aiden uses to convey his examples can be created really quickly, which allows you to practice more than other startup models I have seen.

This being said, I have another 350 pages to go, so I'll update as I keep reading.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with the author, google, or sketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin McCurdy View Post
    Ok, I am now around 50 pages into the book, and I have already caught myself saying, "Ah, that's how you do that." or "Oh, that would've made my life easier." more times than I have fingers and toes. I have used CAD before, but it is so teadeous. I can't wait to get home to actually try what I just read about. I do like the fact that Sketchup allows for multiple control commands to produce the same outcome. I am a firm believer that one should spend a good amount of time mastering the basics before moving on to the more difficult stuff. The beginning models that Aiden uses to convey his examples can be created really quickly, which allows you to practice more than other startup models I have seen.

This being said, I have another 350 pages to go, so I'll update as I keep reading.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with the author, google, or sketchup.
    Thanks for the update on the book. Be sure to keep is posted when you get more into the book and see if they start going over more complicated stuff and how the book handles explaining how to those processes.
    Rise above the rest

Aaron, what sort of complicated stuff do you want to learn how to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Aaron, what sort of complicated stuff do you want to learn how to do?
    Oh, noting in particular, I was just curious how the book handled explaining how to do something, compared to how you usually explain things in a clear and step by step process. Some books just don't explain things well enough or assume you know something you don't, where as getting from a person usually makes it clearer.
    Rise above the rest