sketchup for dummies

I just received my copy today. It doesn't look half bad. It actually seems to be a lot more comprehensive than I expected. Each picture looks pretty well complemented by the text.

I have along way to go though, I am as much of a newbie as it gets to SU. With the help of all of Dave's work that I can find, I hope to progress quick.

Justin, since Aidan works on the SketchUp team he is pretty knowledgeable about the product. I'm still here to help though. And for more of my babbling please look at the Design. Click. Build blog on FineWoodworking.com

Dave

My dad got it not too long ago. Maybe he'll chime in with a review. In a nutshell he told me it was poor, structurally. The author definitely knows his stuff but does not convey it in a linear fashion so my dad found himself getting lost more than he cared for. Bearing in mind that we all learn and process information differently; another person may have a different opinion. He has other "for Dummies" books that he likes to varying degrees.

Ok, I am now around 50 pages into the book, and I have already caught myself saying, "Ah, that's how you do that." or "Oh, that would've made my life easier." more times than I have fingers and toes. I have used CAD before, but it is so teadeous. I can't wait to get home to actually try what I just read about. I do like the fact that Sketchup allows for multiple control commands to produce the same outcome. I am a firm believer that one should spend a good amount of time mastering the basics before moving on to the more difficult stuff. The beginning models that Aiden uses to convey his examples can be created really quickly, which allows you to practice more than other startup models I have seen.

This being said, I have another 350 pages to go, so I'll update as I keep reading.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with the author, google, or sketchup.

Ok, I am now around 50 pages into the book, and I have already caught myself saying, "Ah, that's how you do that." or "Oh, that would've made my life easier." more times than I have fingers and toes. I have used CAD before, but it is so teadeous. I can't wait to get home to actually try what I just read about. I do like the fact that Sketchup allows for multiple control commands to produce the same outcome. I am a firm believer that one should spend a good amount of time mastering the basics before moving on to the more difficult stuff. The beginning models that Aiden uses to convey his examples can be created really quickly, which allows you to practice more than other startup models I have seen.

This being said, I have another 350 pages to go, so I'll update as I keep reading.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with the author, google, or sketchup.

Thanks for the update on the book. Be sure to keep is posted when you get more into the book and see if they start going over more complicated stuff and how the book handles explaining how to those processes.

Aaron, what sort of complicated stuff do you want to learn how to do?

Oh, noting in particular, I was just curious how the book handled explaining how to do something, compared to how you usually explain things in a clear and step by step process. Some books just don't explain things well enough or assume you know something you don't, where as getting from a person usually makes it clearer.

Since my son, Glenn, brought this up

Hi to All,

I had my order in for Sketch Up For Dummies weeks prior to its initial delivery. When I go in to something, I feel that I really want to understand the basics (if you don't understand foundations and bricks you are going to build a lousy wall). I frequently start with the Dummies books. I find that they are a great foundation builder. I like the product.

I have used many computer graphics type programs. One is the good old, it will do anything, standby, AutoCad. I have used several others including Corel Draw, Canvas, Visio, etc.

I was going to design a simple bandsaw cabinet. I was going to use Visio (in spite of its limitations) because it is so much simpler to use. Glenn told me I could learn Visio and use it faster than I could re-educate my self in AutoCad (which I have not use for several years). I am sure he was correct.

I started learning Visio. It is an easy program to learn. However, it has definite limitations. Then I read all of the SketchUp praises on WW Forums and decided, "What the heck, I will learn that." Well, Dummies let me down. The book was a frustration to me. I started to write the author and tell him the book had a great beginning but that he lost me on page 47 (I think that is where I lost it the first time). Then, as I went further, I just kept getting lost again and again. I did not send the letter.

Either I don't have the SketchUp gene or it is a difficult program to learn or the Dummies book does not cut it.

According to Barnes and Nobel there are no other SketchUp books available at this time. If something else comes out I will buy the book and try again. It is very possible that the problem is my senility.

I would NOT have written anything about the book if Glenn had not put in two cents worth about my responses. I do not like to knock someone elses efforts. I always try to remember what one of our ministers said, "Remember, you preach half of the sermon." Perhaps I did not do my half correctly with the Dummies book.

I am sorry for any feelings I have hurt.

Jim

Hi Jim, and welcome to the family. :wave: From where I'm sitting, there's no need for apologies. You stated your observations about the book, but didn't bash anyone for using it. Since you're experienced in other graphic programs, I doubt it's your fault the book didn't help you out. Maybe you're not "dummy" enough. ;)

By the way...I'm glad you showed up. We've been needing someone to keep ol' Glenn in line. He's outa control, that kid. :rofl: Again, welcome to the clubhouse. :thumb:

Keeping Glenn In Line

Hi Jim, and welcome to the family. :wave: From where I'm sitting, there's no need for apologies. You stated your observations about the book, but didn't bash anyone for using it. Since you're experienced in other graphic programs, I doubt it's your fault the book didn't help you out. Maybe you're not "dummy" enough. ;)

By the way...I'm glad you showed up. We've been needing someone to keep ol' Glenn in line. He's outa control, that kid. :rofl: Again, welcome to the clubhouse. :thumb:

Don't look at me to keep Glenn in line. I couldn't even do it when he was a teen-ager, let alone as an adult. Maybe you can find some big guy with a baseball bat and do it that way.

Kidding aside---I have really been having fun starting into woodworking. Glenn is my mentor and guide. I talk to him by phone almost every day about how to do something. I consult with him before purchasing tools. Etc. It is kind of like when he was a kid and I told him how to do things. Of course this is different---I pay attention to him.

Enjoy,

Jim

According to Barnes and Nobel there are no other SketchUp books available at this time.

Perhaps you'd like 'The Sketchup book' by Bonnie Roskes? Hmm, looks like that particular book isn't availabe now but take a look at http://www.sketchup.com/?title=3rd_party_products for a list of options.

You might also find the video podcasts of "the sketchup show" useful. Just use iTunes and search for 'sketchup'

Hi to All,

I read all of the SketchUp praises on WW Forums and decided, "What the heck, I will learn that." Well, Dummies let me down. The book was a frustration to me. I started to write the author and tell him the book had a great beginning but that he lost me on page 47 (I think that is where I lost it the first time). Then, as I went further, I just kept getting lost again and again. I did not send the letter.
Either I don't have the SketchUp gene or it is a difficult program to learn or the Dummies book does not cut it. There is an answer to KetchUp :rofl::rofl: I mean SketchUp. There is rumor of a Lobster headed :rolleyes:, SketchUp Genius who sacrifices his time and energy to aid and assist those whom he knows not. I have read of him. He is very quick witted in a polite, kind way and very respectful. He is sharp and knowledgeable, willing to answer questions and has gone out of his way to share the joy he knows in "SKETCH UP" with dummy :eek: after dummy:eek:! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I like him and never heard a bad word otherwise. He can help with whatever you want. His name is Dave Richards,:thumb:....S According to Barnes and Nobel there are no other SketchUp books available at this time. If something else comes out I will buy the book and try again. It is very possible that the problem is my senility.

Jim
Hang in there Jim, if you see any potential, Dave can help you out:thumb:
Shaz

Ok, I finally completed as much of the Sketchup For Dummies book that I think I will ever look at. I think the trick to learning is not trying to sit down and read the book, you must actually work through the examples. It is just a case of practice makes perfect. A lot of the features someone may never use or need, it all just depends on what level of designing that they plan on doing. The book is definately worth the $15. Just as I have previously written, the book is written for those that want to design houses, but most of the concepts can be carried over to woodworking.

Just my .02

Hi and Thanks,

You opened definite possibilites. The url I used was: http://www.sketchup.com/?title=3rd_party_products

Has anyone tried the "Google SketchUp Pro 6 User's Guide (Microsoft Windows)? Is it also mainly architectural? If there is a chance it will apply to woodworking it certainly should offer something for $31.37 US.

If nobody knows I will give it a try anyway.

It also comes Mac OS.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi and Thanks,

You opened definite possibilites. The url I used was: http://www.sketchup.com/?title=3rd_party_products

Has anyone tried the "Google SketchUp Pro 6 User's Guide (Microsoft Windows)? Is it also mainly architectural? If there is a chance it will apply to woodworking it certainly should offer something for $31.37 US.

If nobody knows I will give it a try anyway.

It also comes Mac OS.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim, before spending $31.37, you might try downloading Google SketchUp Pro 6User's Guide for free, here.

It will be oriented primarily toward architecture though. After all that's what SketchUp was invented for.

As has been previously mentioned there is a guy here who has been offering help and tutoring for SketchUp and I don't think he's ever charged anyone anything. I also understand that he will talk (sometimes for hours) on the phone helping others learn how to use SketchUp. You might check with him and see if he'd be of any use. ;):D

As has been previously mentioned there is a guy here who has been offering help and tutoring for SketchUp and I don't think he's ever charged anyone anything. I also understand that he will talk (sometimes for hours) on the phone helping others learn how to use SketchUp. You might check with him and see if he'd be of any use. ;):D
I can vouch for that, I got my problem solved in the first five minutes and 2 hours later we ended our conversation. :rofl: