vBulletin Upgrade Completed

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm happy to announce that the vBulletin software has been successfully updated to the latest version and our forums are still here. Whew. :rolleyes: Actually, it went very smoothly with no unexpected behaviors.

This upgrade includes a number of security fixes and bug fixes, as well as a few enhancements. (I just noticed that the spell checker in Firefox automatically catches things now...it didn't do that before the upgrade.)

If you run into any abnormalities (aside from the regular gang of folks here like me), let any of the Moderators or Administrators know about it. We'll see what we can do.

Your Friendly A.N.T.*

* Admin Ninja Team
ninja.gif

I am starting to think I get up way to early. (3 AM EST most mornings). I was trying to get on here earlier and realized the upgrades were still going on.

That's alright, as Ned would say that just means one more extra cup of [_]D

As a side note Vaughn, but not to burst your bubble, Firefox did spell check before the upgrades, but that matters little. Upgrades, no matter how small, are generally good.

I...As a side note Vaughn, but not to burst your bubble, Firefox did spell check before the upgrades, but that matters little. Upgrades, no matter how small, are generally good.

In looking at it more closely, I think the spell checker I'm using is the Google toolbar one. On my computers, the spell checker worked, but I had to specifically click the spell check button. Now, it underlines misspelled words with a dotted red line as fast as I can type them. I had seen that behavior on other forums (running different software), but not on this one, until tonight's upgrade.

This was actually six upgrades. vBulletin upgrades incrementally, so we ended up running the upgrades for versions 3.6.3 through 3.6.8. This is our first full upgrade since we started the place.

Upgrades are generally good as I mentioned.

I say generally good because Wood Online recently did an upgrade where they completely changed their format. I think they meant well, but they did not think everything through. A whole host of problems developed out of that and people started complaining...then they started leaving.

Myself I do not have any computer problems with the new site and I like change, but when people left, it changed the place. Myself I realized I was spending way to much time on the computer and thus decided to try and limit my online time and how many forums I contribute too. Since I came to this site when it was an infant, I figured I might as well try to add more input to this smaller woodworking forum.

You may, or may not have noticed that the number of my posts and replies have picked up. I have been trying to answer more posts and generally be more active on here. In some ways my deep involvement in the forestry side of things may add some depth. I know there are a few people on here that harvest their own wood and have woodlots as well, but probably not that many. I am hoping I can help share some interesting things on the logging, growing of trees, sawmilling and drying of lumber.

That is just one wicked long way of saying, since Wood Online did some changes I have been on here a lot more.