View Poll Results: Why were you happy at the project suggestion?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because the project required the use of the lathe, and you like turning things

2 3.70%
  • It was something for the kids. Its always great to build something for the kids

7 12.96%
  • Its something big and challenging. Something that will tax your skills

14 25.93%
  • Its something small, won't eat into the family budget and won't take much time to complete

5 9.26%
  • You know immediately it will require a new tool, and woodworkers always need more tools

22 40.74%
  • Its something for the spouse. You always like making something for them.

25 46.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spouse inspired project

Spouse inspired project

You are riding in the car with your spouse, when suddenly he/ she starts to get very serious.

"You know the other day I was in this store and I saw this wooden thing that was so amazing. I was thinking you could easily make it with your woodworkings skills..."

Now after she tells you what she wants made, you start to smile because its something you really want to build. That is because it....
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

in my case travis,
    I get to build my shop! Of course once that is 'done' I get to finish my kitchen reno, reno the bathroom an living rooms. That was my justification for the shop, we need to just about totally rebuild this house, and I can't do that if my tools are in storage.
    -Ned

Another option to add - because he/she thinks you could actually do it! The smart answer is becauce you love your spouse and the project is something that would make them happy!

Wes

Some examples of why I answered the pole the way I did....

Deck - I offered and my wife agreed to it
    -Challenge: very large project - never did a deck before
    -New Tools - 12 Compound Miter Saw DW705

Swing/Play Set - I offered and my wife agreed to it
    - for my son

Bathroom Stool - for my son, asked for by my wife
    - Challenge: first time I did pattern routing
    - Needed a pattern routing bit or two (of course)

Family room cabinet & shelves (still a work in progress) - Large challenging project, the cabinets will be storage for my son's toys.
    -Lots of tools for this one (Router DW618, Belt Sander DW433, 13in Planer 22-580, panel raising & rail-n-stile router bits... I'm sure there are more that I can't remember now)
    -Gave me the excuse to build a bunch of jigs for it (Rail Coping Jig, Super Sled, Down Draft Table)

Quilt Hanger - my wife asked for it, now hanging in my son's room.

Mission End Table - for my wife as a gift

Mission Vanity & Stool - for my wife as a gift, plus an opportunity to do woodworking with my Dad
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hm-m-m-m-m, I don't qualify. I don't have one of them critters
    However... I would select "I enjoy working in the shop and this would make both of us happy."

Doncha hate people who can't be satisfied with the selections already in the poll?

DT

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Taylor View Post
    Hm-m-m-m-m, I don't qualify. I don't have one of them critters
    OK Don, now we know how you can afford all those cool tools you have.
    Don't believe everything you think!

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    OK Don, now we know how you can afford all those cool tools you have.
    My priority lists certainly do differ from those of my married friends Jesse.

DT

I had to select several of the answers, because different ones apply to different projects. She seldom asks me to make anything for her, but in general, anything LOML asks for out of the shop gets #1 priority. In return, she lets me spend as much time out there as I want.

A few projects...

Wedding Arbor -- This one was a joint decision after we saw the junk that was for sale. It hit the Challenge button.

Viking Bed -- Not really for LOML, but for her brother. Used as another challenge piece, plus it warranted a new tool, the mortiser. Learned a bit about SketchUp on this one, too.

Laminated Wood Key Fobs -- This was a pair of simple laminated strips of wood, scuplted a bit and made into large restroom key holders for LOML's office (where she's the receptionist, in charge of doling out the bathroom keys). She gets compliments on them every day, and it makes her smile. One of those "something for the spouse" things.

Miscellaneous Turned Plant Stands -- I've done several little round plant risers for LOML on the lathe, all out of scrap wood and all just because she's asked for them. (Those are the pieces she tends to like the most.) The first of these was a chunk of 4x4 turned endgrain on a faceplate, using a really bad Chinese lathe someone gave me a few years ago (before the lathe bug hit me). This was the only thing I turned on this lathe...I knew even back then that it was not suitable for turning wood.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I don't know about you all, but most of my projects have been wife inspired. Seems as though once I finish one she has another great idea On the up side she can usually be confused with woodworking jargin which leads to the purchase of a new tool

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Clayton View Post
    On the up side she can usually be confused with woodworking jargin which leads to the purchase of a new tool
    Like "whats a mortice?" does that have anything to do with those "tendon" thingys?
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe