Spouse inspired project

Why were you happy at the project suggestion?

• Because the project required the use of the lathe, and you like turning things

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • It was something for the kids. Its always great to build something for the kids

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Its something big and challenging. Something that will tax your skills

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Its something small, won't eat into the family budget and won't take much time to complete

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • You know immediately it will require a new tool, and woodworkers always need more tools

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Its something for the spouse. You always like making something for them.

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
You are riding in the car with your spouse, when suddenly he/ she starts to get very serious.

"You know the other day I was in this store and I saw this wooden thing that was so amazing. I was thinking you could easily make it with your woodworkings skills..."

Now after she tells you what she wants made, you start to smile because its something you really want to build. That is because it....

in my case travis,
I get to build my shop! Of course once that is 'done' I get to finish my kitchen reno, reno the bathroom an living rooms. That was my justification for the shop, we need to just about totally rebuild this house, and I can't do that if my tools are in storage.

Another option to add - because he/she thinks you could actually do it!:rofl: The smart answer is becauce you love your spouse and the project is something that would make them happy!:D

Wes

Some examples of why I answered the pole the way I did....

Deck - I offered and my wife agreed to it
-Challenge: very large project - never did a deck before
-New Tools - 12 Compound Miter Saw DW705

Swing/Play Set - I offered and my wife agreed to it
- for my son :D

Bathroom Stool - for my son, asked for by my wife
- Challenge: first time I did pattern routing
- Needed a pattern routing bit or two (of course:D)

Family room cabinet & shelves (still a work in progress:doh:) - Large challenging project, the cabinets will be storage for my son's toys.
-Lots of tools for this one :D (Router DW618, Belt Sander DW433, 13in Planer 22-580, panel raising & rail-n-stile router bits... I'm sure there are more that I can't remember now)
-Gave me the excuse to build a bunch of jigs for it (Rail Coping Jig, Super Sled, Down Draft Table)

Quilt Hanger - my wife asked for it, now hanging in my son's room.

Mission End Table - for my wife as a gift

Mission Vanity & Stool - for my wife as a gift, plus an opportunity to do woodworking with my Dad:thumb:

Hm-m-m-m-m, I don't qualify. I don't have one of them critters
However... I would select "I enjoy working in the shop and this would make both of us happy."

Doncha hate people who can't be satisfied with the selections already in the poll? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

I had to select several of the answers, because different ones apply to different projects. She seldom asks me to make anything for her, but in general, anything LOML asks for out of the shop gets #1 priority. In return, she lets me spend as much time out there as I want. :D

A few projects...

Wedding Arbor -- This one was a joint decision after we saw the junk that was for sale. It hit the Challenge button.

Viking Bed -- Not really for LOML, but for her brother. Used as another challenge piece, plus it warranted a new tool, the mortiser. Learned a bit about SketchUp on this one, too.

Laminated Wood Key Fobs -- This was a pair of simple laminated strips of wood, scuplted a bit and made into large restroom key holders for LOML's office (where she's the receptionist, in charge of doling out the bathroom keys). She gets compliments on them every day, and it makes her smile. One of those "something for the spouse" things.

Miscellaneous Turned Plant Stands -- I've done several little round plant risers for LOML on the lathe, all out of scrap wood and all just because she's asked for them. (Those are the pieces she tends to like the most.) The first of these was a chunk of 4x4 turned endgrain on a faceplate, using a really bad Chinese lathe someone gave me a few years ago (before the lathe bug hit me). This was the only thing I turned on this lathe...I knew even back then that it was not suitable for turning wood. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you all, but most of my projects have been wife inspired. Seems as though once I finish one she has another great idea:rofl: On the up side she can usually be confused with woodworking jargin which leads to the purchase of a new tool:thumb:

My wife asks for things for the house, or the kitchen especially, and that way I can justify the tool I bought the month or so before on sale... :D

A lot of the other stuff I have been doing, building, in my "shop" is for our house renovation.

LOML has been the major inspiration for advancing my skills. She offered so much encouragement there was no way to say "No". I was satisfied doing typical weekend hobbyist projects until she wanted new bedroom furniture based on some we were building in a commercial shop in which I worked for a couple of years.

While she doesn't have an interest in using most of the tools I had and have acquired, she understands the purpose of them. At times when I've been hesitant to spend the money for a new tool, she gives me the ultimatum: buy it yourself or I'll have to buy it for you! What a gal!!!

If you get a chance to check my website, you'll see most of the project I've done placed in various parts of our home.

I couldn't answer this question because I'm the "she" and he's the "he" in this scenario. But, having said that, I'd have to use four different answers:

Its something big and challenging. Something that will tax your skills
Its something small, won't eat into the family budget and won't take much time to complete
You know immediately it will require a new tool, and woodworkers always need more tools
Its something for the spouse. You always like making something for them.

Hubby has been very good about building things for our house - I could post pictures but you'd get bored - and other things like kitchen cabinets and other built-ins. One funny story comes to mind: He was building something, and I don't remember what it was, but he was perplexed at how it would be assembled. I had recently read an article in a magazine about biscuits, so I innocently asked if he could use those to do the job. His eyes lit up, but his response was that he didn't have a biscuit joiner. I immediately got on the phone to the store where he works, had the weekend manager put a PC biscuit joiner on "will call", and went and picked it up. Assembly problem solved, he got a new tool, and now he has TWO of them and loves them.

Lots of the tools he has in the shop were either Christmas/birthday presents from me or were bought by him with gift certificates. Case in point: he was griping about breaking down 4x8 sheets of ply and said he needed a sliding table; he got one for his birthday. His Bies fence on the Unisaw was a Christmas present. I don't mind buying tools for him, because I get the best of the deal--he makes beautiful things for me and our home.

Nancy (137 days)

Kids say, "I want..." SWMBO says "He will..." I says "I will...."

If I knew "I do" meant you agree to whatever comes to mind for the rest of your life, :eek: I might have considered it a bit longer. :huh:

:p 38 so far, but who's counting? Tomorrow is the big day, If I could only remember what it is I'm suppose to remember about tomorrow... Oh well I'm sure she will remind me next week about what I forgot tomorrow brings :eek: In fact she might just remind me for the rest of the coming year and again every time I forget about the years of bliss....:rolleyes: Years of Bliss, was that the 24 before or the 38 after the event that I can't seem to remember what tomorrows is suppose to represent.... Anna something, was on the tip of my tongue but I can't spit it out..... :dunno:

:type:If I write back tomorrow, it is clear that I remembered but if you don't here from me, make a nice box for my remains, if there are any...

Sue came back from the hairdresser one day and said "I have a great idea based on the trolley they use in the salon"

And this is it, My, Oops, OUR router trolley!

XAVLV-RTView.JPG

NNHLG-RTdrawer.JPG

JIEVP-RTNCR.JPG

OPLPP-RTPark.JPG

Ralph;)