Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue screen of death

Blue screen of death

Well after I made my way to the compter this after noon to surf the net I had a huge problem with my computer. I turned it on and up poped a blue screen telling me there was a error in bootstrap or something like that. So after LOML re formated the hard drive I now have the fun job aof reinstalling all the programs and trying to find all my favorite sites again. I cant ask much of this PC as it is 6 years old and is always in use.

I hope you had everything backed up. I have been using one of those Internet backup services - Carbonite - that backs up everything over the Internet to their servers. I don't remember the cost but it was fairly cheap.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Another great backup is the new USB drives. These are like $100 and you just plug them into the USB port. You can back up everything to them... so when you hard drive crashes, you at least have the data.

You still have to go thru the process of actually installing everything.. This is certainly a painful experience...

I feel for you Al. That's a major pain in the rear. Good luck getting everything back in order.

Wes

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Al,
    I built and used PC's for over 25 years and finally got fed up with all that hair pulling hassle. I switched to Mac about three years ago and have not had one single problem since. They simply work.
    The Mac mini is around $500 depending on how you order it. You can use your existing monitor and a Mac keyboard can be had for under $20.

I've been convinced

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Another great backup is the new USB drives. These are like $100 and you just plug them into the USB port. You can back up everything to them... so when you hard drive crashes, you at least have the data.

You still have to go thru the process of actually installing everything.. This is certainly a painful experience...
    I used to use an external USB drive and some software that ran every night to back up my data to that external drive. Works well. The only problem is that if I have a disaster (like a fire), the backup drive will be destroyed along with the computer. With the Internet backup, the data is off site.

I guess it's all in your (and my) tolerance for risk. I now have most of the pictures of my family's life in digital form on the computer and don't want to risk losing them. While the USB drive works fine, I eventually switched to the off-site backup for greater security.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ouch! As a Windows user I back up about every week. I probably format and rebuild my machine as SOP a couple times a year. I've got it down to a couple hours which is way faster than I can chase down what has happened. Windows leaves a trail behind. Always has. There are ways to tidy up as you go but I find it easier to just purge and rebuild now and then.

My other operating systems fare better over long periods but are not used the same way or exposed to the same 'stuff' as front office machines. I just try to stay away from the whole Ford vs. Chevy-like arguments over operating systems.

Something that might help; after a machine is up for the first time (again), I build a "folder" named after me. All my data files and folders are part of a tree under this folder. When backing up, I simply back up this folder and all sub-folders and I get everything. When restoring its the reverse. Works for me.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-06-2007 at 02:28 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Back up question

When you back up your data, can or should you back up the entire hard drive including the programs you have loaded and Windows? Is this even possible? Why or why not should this be done? It seems to make sense to me, so it's probably a bad idea!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    When you back up your data, can or should you back up the entire hard drive including the programs you have loaded and Windows? Is this even possible? Why or why not should this be done? It seems to make sense to me, so it's probably a bad idea!
    Hi Ron,
    It's best to just back up your data.

Installing with a windows operating system, bits and pieces are loaded all over the place for the program to use, especially in the Registry.
    When you delete programs, even using windows program remover it is highly improbable that you will get them all.

And then you run across the problem with "Common files" that more than one program use. To delete one of these as part of one program will cause damage in another. Not to mention that over half of the programs you back up that way simply will not be able to find enough of what they need to work properly.

The Registry, and all this crud is exactly what you are trying to get away from when you re-format and start with a clean slate. You are looking for a fresh install of all programs.

Maybe not such a technical explanation but this is part of what you run into with a backup.

ALWAYS back up! Think of your back up system as your computer dust collection system.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Being a die-hard Mac user since 1992, I have to say it is my prefered platform. However I have had crashes and lost data, more so under OS 9 than 10. I recomend backing up your data files (pictues, video files, word docs, mp3's, pdf, etc...) on a regular basis no matter what OS you use. No matter how trouble free a particular OS seems to be for you, your data can still be lost. As the saying goes, "Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when."

Even though I am "one of those Mac people", I know a good deal about Windows and trouble shooting it. I worked for several years doing tech support for a major electronics manufacture's out sourced (within the US at the time) tech support call center. I continue to work in a computer related field, but now in tech support for a broadband ISP.

I can tell you with Windows, no matter what version, backing up, is best done of just your data files. As far as programs (applications) keep your install CDs/DVDs within reach along with any registration key information you might need to install them. The reason that you would not want to backup applications, is because of the way that they are installed on to your PC. When you install a program on to your PC the installer scatters files through out various directories (folders) on your computer. The placement of these files is important in allowing the application to run correctly or run at all. If you go to the my programs folder and copy application X to your external hard drive, when you go to put it back on after a reformat it probably won't work. This is because you didn't back up all the little pieces that the installer scattered all over your operating system. The time and effort it would take to find all of these pieces, back them up, and be able to restore them to the right locations when necessary, makes this process 100 times more tedious and complicated than necessary.

So in short, back up the your data files to a 2nd hard drive or a DVD/CD. As for your programs, just reinstall them from the original discs.

As a matter of fact I just finished backing up just under 8GB of my digital pictures on to my 2nd drive while I was typing this.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe