Flea Market Purchases - Mitre Saw and Scraper

Sorry I don't have any information on the scraper for you John. I do have an old heavy steel mitre guage something like that though. I don't think mine has quite the quality of that one. I have two back saws and all three are in about the same condition as your find. When I come to that part of my clean up, I'll be sure and post some pictures. I believe I found mine at a yard sale some where along the line. :huh:

Great score there :thumb:

DT

Last edited:
That scraper is a whole lot like a Stanley #12 or 12 1/2. If it's got holes for a wooden foot, it's a 12 1/2 (or is it 1/4?). The solid foot is a #12.

The scraper used is the same as that used in the 112 scraper plane. The blade is beveled at 45 and may or may not be turned to a burr depending on your use.

A good set of pics is over at patrick's blood & gore, here: http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan3.htm

Well, it turns out mine wasn't that hard to get to.
Like I said, it isn't the quality of the one you found John.

100_1754.jpg

100_1755.jpg

100_1756.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1758.jpg

100_1759.jpg

The air conditioner wasn't on in the shop and I couldn't take the time to decipher that label. I had to get back in the house quickly. I can't deal with the heat and no moving air these days.
Your guess is as good as mine who made it.

DT

[size=+1]Your scraper appears to be a clone of a Stanley #12, as others have said. It does appear to be missing the two adjustment nuts for the blade angle.

If it's a true copy of the Stanley, the threads are some off-the-wall size, so good luck duplicating them on your lathe. Maybe you'll bet lucky, and Smith used a standard thread...

In the alternative, you could make a complete new shaft - maybe 5/16' x 18 - and then you can use a standard tap for the nuts.

Hock and Lie Neilson both make aftermarket blades for the #12. As others have said, it's the same blade as the #112 uses, and it's generally bevelled at 45°, and used with no burr.

The #12 is a pretty good scraper. Yours is definitely worth fixing up.

BTW, the original Stanleys had a rosewood handle. Yours appears to be something else - maybe maple?[/size]

Great score John. I am seriously jealous of anyone who can just 'spin out' parts on their lathe. That is a skill I have never had or attempted. I always get a kick out of the number of woodworkers I run into who are engineers, machinists, geeks or some combination of the three. Do we all share a common gene pool way back there somewhere? ;-)