Thread: Porter Cable router microprocessor problems?

Porter Cable router microprocessor problems?

As I spoke in my torsion box thread, my PC 8529 would't turn on yesterday afternoon. Had to break out the 3+ year old PC 7518 out of it's factory new box to trim the laminate! At least it worked.
    A little history on the 8529. Worked great 2 years ago when I was building the torsion box doors for the shop. Probably used it about 40 minutes worth. A few months ago when I was installing the OSB on the shop walls, I used it to cut out the openings at the windows and doors rather that mark and mis-cut the OSB before putting it up. On the speed scale of 1 to 5 it only wanted to work up to 3. I played with it and got it to 3.5. Anything above that and it would shut off. Yesterday, I pull it out to trim the laminate on the multistation torsion box tops, and nothing. I have heard that PC has had problems with the microprocessors. I'm just not sure if I have 1 or 2 problems now. Anyone run into this before? Any insight you could offer would be a help. I looked on line and found the processor for about 35 -40 bucks in the Spring. It's easy enough to install, but if I have other problems, or if the replacement microprocessors aren't any better, it would make more sense to get a replacement router, maybe of a different color. TIA! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I wonder if I can hardwire it full on and buy a separate speed control to plug it into? I pulled the brushes and they look brand new, like a router with 4 hours of use should look. I wish the 7518 I have was not electronic, either, but I bet the speed control is. I emailed PC to see if they can tell me if the speed control has been revamped to last longer, or if it is still the same piece. No pun intended. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

My luck there would be somethng special about the motor make up that I've never heard of before and it would go "POOF". If it would work hard wired, I wonder if a 20 amp rheostat would work as a speed control? I'm afraid that most ceiling fan wall mounts would be too light weight for this motor. Thanks for the info! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!