Porter Cable router microprocessor problems?

Jim O'Dell

As I spoke in my torsion box thread, my PC 8529 would't turn on yesterday afternoon. Had to break out the 3+ year old PC 7518 out of it's factory new box to trim the laminate! :eek: At least it worked.
A little history on the 8529. Worked great 2 years ago when I was building the torsion box doors for the shop. Probably used it about 40 minutes worth. A few months ago when I was installing the OSB on the shop walls, I used it to cut out the openings at the windows and doors rather that mark and mis-cut the OSB before putting it up. On the speed scale of 1 to 5 it only wanted to work up to 3. I played with it and got it to 3.5. Anything above that and it would shut off. Yesterday, I pull it out to trim the laminate on the multistation torsion box tops, and nothing. I have heard that PC has had problems with the microprocessors. I'm just not sure if I have 1 or 2 problems now. Anyone run into this before? Any insight you could offer would be a help. I looked on line and found the processor for about 35 -40 bucks in the Spring. It's easy enough to install, but if I have other problems, or if the replacement microprocessors aren't any better, it would make more sense to get a replacement router, maybe of a different color. TIA! Jim.

I wonder if I can hardwire it full on and buy a separate speed control to plug it into? :D I pulled the brushes and they look brand new, like a router with 4 hours of use should look. I wish the 7518 I have was not electronic, either, but I bet the speed control is. I emailed PC to see if they can tell me if the speed control has been revamped to last longer, or if it is still the same piece. No pun intended.:rolleyes: Jim.

My luck there would be somethng special about the motor make up that I've never heard of before and it would go "POOF".:eek: If it would work hard wired, I wonder if a 20 amp rheostat would work as a speed control? I'm afraid that most ceiling fan wall mounts would be too light weight for this motor. Thanks for the info! Jim.