Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handsaws...the journey continues and getting close to completion...

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

Handsaws...the journey continues and getting close to completion...

Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 02-27-2008 at 08:00 AM.

VERY neat Alan, keep posting this stuff, I very much enjoy reading it, and looking at the pics!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks good! Mike's going to have some competition!

Yeah I am watching this thread with interest myself. Just curious, what are you planning on using for a handle...that is, what kind of wood. Just curious?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

All worthy woods I must say. I know some of the turn of the century handsaws liked to use fruitwood for the handles, that is why I asked.

Myself, I would like to learn how to file saws first in a re-sharpening kind of way, then maybe make my own. Not for profit mind you, just one or two to say I made my own saw. Kind of like I did with my first hand plane.

Of course I have yet to really finish that hand plane yet. Stupid addition is taking all my time.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I can understand all of that. Like you at one point, I would just like to learn how to sharpen a handsaw. My uncle used to do a saw filing business and thus I might be able to get him to show me how.

As for your filing method, that sounds similiar to the way I file a chainsaw chain. Just a file and go for it. It must work because now when I get a brand new chainsaw chain, I run a file over it to sharpen it up. For some reason chainsaw chains seem dull to me even right out of the box.

Learning to sharpen your own tooling is always a great idea. I know so many people that can not sharpen a drill bit, and yet being able to control the angle makes life great. Drilling aluminum, drilling stainless and even mild steel, are all better off drilled with different cutting angles. Of course the drill doctor commercials aren't going to tell you that!