Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wonky.....

Wonky.....

I have this roughed out cherry bowl, that dried really wonky, totally out of round, and to add to the troubles, the tenon on the base of the bowl cracked away from the base

Honestly, I should have put it in the "Interesting Firewood" pile, but, for some reason, I kept on trying to save this one.......
    ............I did the outside to a semblance of smooth between centers, and then cut a new tenon on it, and flipped it around to do the inside......

Attachment 11289
    boy was this thing out of whack......

Attachment 11290 Attachment 11291

I'd say the balance is out a tad on this one

I got it done, with the help of a steady hand (lots of deep breathing) and nice sharp tools.........

Attachment 11292 Attachment 11293

Since the pics were taken I've turned off the bottom and I've started to spray this one with clear lacquer, I think there is enough going on here.

Thinnest point at the rim is somewhere around 1/16", the base is just under 1/4".

I'll post pics when it is done.

next time I get one like this it IS going in the burn pile, MAN I spent a LOT of time on this one.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well done Stu! I had a couple of maple bowls lately that did the same thing. Even though I considered turning a new tenon, the warp in the wall was such, that there was no way I could turn a bowl from it......Unless about 120 degrees of the side was a pouring spout!

Well done!

Wonky??? The bowl looks great! How do you cut off the tenon and shape the base? I did a small bowl this weekend out of some spalted river birch, but since I haven't done many bowls (this is #2) I haven't really figured out what I'm doing yet!

Thanks Ed.

You can use a Donut chuck, fairly easy to make, I did a thread on this a while back...........

Turing off the tenon <-Link

You will see some great input from other members as well!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Turned out pretty nice buddy. Yep donut chucks work great. Post some pics when you have the lacquer on it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    boy was this thing out of whack......
    Hey Stu...put the tenon in the middle next time. It helps keep the bowl "in whack".

Nice save, man. I've got a little red eucalyptus bowl that came out paper thin for reasons similar to yours.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the link Stu! I'll see what I can put together!

Funny you should post about the problems with Cherry Stuart,

I've been fighting a previously rough turned piece myself today,

__________Forgot how hard dried Cherry can get, spent some considerable time getting the tool edge and my approach
    __________just right to finish this piece off. Despite being very dry the piece constantly kept changing shape,
    __________either due to stress relief or temperature changes, at 4mm thick walls not much option but to
    __________rely on finish sanding for final contours.

_________ ___ _______ click on images for larger view
    _____________Aylesbury Cherry___________________(190mm)

Had a piece back in May that was so thin (<1mm)I had to fit a rim to it to strengthen it.

I find that Green Cherry has about the biggest cross grain shrinkage distortion of any wood I tackle.
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces
    My Web Site

OK, I'm building up some layers of rattle can lacquer........

Attachment 11299

All nice and shinny! I'll let this one dry, or cure for a few days before I go the buffing route.

Attachment 11300
    Here it itswith a hollow form I'm working on....

Attachment 11301
    Boy this thing has been a lot more work than it was worth, it started out as an exercise in using the captured hollow form rig. The main body is Ginko, I've found this wood SUCKS

It is WAY too soft and bruises if you look at it funny. Difficult to turn, hard to sand too...

When it dried it went a bit out of round, but the area near the opening had a bunch of cracks in it I used a lot of CA glue to fix this, which left an ugly stain, so I decided to try some burning

Ah well, it is all about learning I guess.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

This is great. I took a Cherry bowl out of the bag on Sunday and thought how in the world am I going to save this. It ended up being the thinnest bowl that I have ever turned. I almost threw it away about half way through finishing it because I had lost hope. Now I think that it is one of the best pieces that i have done. I am not sure if it is because it looks nice or because I learned so much while fixing it. I will have to get some pics. posted.
    Also Stu your bowl and vase look great. The link to your previous post about the donut chuck was a huge help. I have considered buying one but after seeing the one that you made I think that I would get more use out of it then one of the store bought ones. Thanks